Best way to frag birdsnest

jhatfield

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
227
Reaction score
123
Location
Santa Barbara, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a birdsnest near the top of my rockwork that is getting to be softball sized and shading a few frags lower down. I've never trimmed a coral before and was wondering if cutting or breaking the branches is best. May not even matter but thought I'd ask before hacking away.
 
doesn't really matter, but you can be more accurate with cutters rather than just snapping bits off.
 
I was about to do mine today...but mine is receding and I want to save it. I wish I had the problem of my corals growing too large. ;). Following
 
Birdsnest can be very fragile. Either breaking or cutters will work. Don't be surprised if you end up with a couple "accidental" frags
 
Already had a couple "accidental fragings" and so far no ill effects. Thought I'd check first before I start trimming.

The birdsnest is my only sps that has really taken off and seems to have really enjoyed my lack of experience and a very unstable tank.
 
Getting fewer, larger branches will leave less wounds for the colony to heal. Try and get them as far down as you can to minimize the cuts.
 
I tried using surated (sp) scissors. That didn't work so well. Ended up breaking the whole colony off the plug. Had to glue it back on. Fingers crossed.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top