Best way to treat fish after severe temperature changes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhilM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

PhilM

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2022
Messages
53
Reaction score
35
Location
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish have undergone severe temperature changes in the last 18 hours. My main return pump crashed and my backup did not start up. The temperature in the display tank went down to 73 as no circulation and no temperature alarms as both heaters are in the sump. Time to get a temperature sensor for the display. I have gradually been bring the temperature back and am now at 77.3. I have kept the powerheads going for circulation and added an air stone. I have a replacement pump and once I finish some required plumbing mods hope to have it up and running in the next 6 hours.

My clowns seem to be coping well. However, my yellow tang, was just resting on the bottom and really looking bad so I transferred her and some display tank water to a small 10 gallon that was empty. I put a heater and air stone in this tank with her. The heater was set to turn off at 78 but it failed and went all the way up to 82 before I noticed the light was still on and checked the temperature. I then started mixing water from the display tank back into the 10 gallon to gradually cool it. I am now down to 78.9 and gradually will get back to the target 77.5 to 78.

The 73 to 82 is a big temperature change in less than 3 hours for the tang and she is very lethargic and just hanging at the bottom of the tank. I am looking for suggestions on how to best take care of her. Also any suggestions on how to take care of fish in this type of critical failure situation.

Many Thanks in advance.
 
hi, lots of air at this point ,keep doing what you are doing ,hopefully get yellow back in DT asap.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top