- Joined
- Aug 8, 2020
- Messages
- 1,228
- Reaction score
- 6,093
- Location
- Wausau, WI
- What state or country do you live in
- Wisconsin
Apologies in advance for a long and probably rambling post, please bear with me.
I have narrowed down my mixed reef system to two tanks and system details, as well as gone over some of the wrasse and fish guides to try and narrow down my stocking list/plan. I've narrowed my list some but haven't finalized any decisions yet and would appreciate more experienced eyes to give this a look. Feedback always welcome and appreciated.
Tank options:
DIY Acrylic - 120"x48"x48" roughly 1,200 gallons DT volume (this is my dream/ideal tank and the one I am shooting for)
Glass cages - 130"x37.5"x36.5" roughly 730 gallons DT volume
There will be heavy filtration as I like fish in my reef and I like to feed my fish. Filtration will include roller fleece system of some kind, two "smaller" skimmers (each capable of handling 50 to 60% of system volume on its own - redundancy), algae reactor (undersized since there will be a 'fuge but scalable - add another if needed), a 'fuge with LR, sand, and fun macro algae (red gracilaria, dragons tongue, and blue hypnea - might set up as a separate DT inspired by an old coworker 'K' who taught me about Nishikigoi and a little about the philosophy of Japanese planted tanks).
One of the closed loops will run UV and there will be intermittent carbon usage.
System will be supported by a calcium reactor and kalk.
The livestock will be supported by manual feeding (frozen, etc.) in the AM and the PM with a mix of auto feed during the day (Apex and their auto feeders have my brain running 100mph)
The tank is going to have 4 or five main/large rock features (think islands and ridgelines) built from LR and Marco (mix of foundation, shelf, and reg) to provide lots of swimming space and hiding spots/ territory. There will also be a 6" DSB in the display tank.
Tank/Stocking Philosophy:
The goal for this tank is to create layers in my aquascape front to back and left to right so much that people say "Wow how big is that tank" rather than "That is a big tank" by breaking out of some of the normal aquascaping habits and creating depth and interest.
If all goes right I'd like the stocking list to do the same. Small, med, and large fish. Bottom dwellers, mid water, and upper/open water swimmers. As well as a good mix of color.
Questions:
Is the tank big enough to start breaking rules about mixing conspecifics? I.e. Pseudochromis, Basslets, Dwarf Angels, etc.
What stocking rules can I break/can’t I break
Stocked in order of least aggression to most aggressive but what about those that need “mature” systems?
Is this list ludicrous???
What questions did I forget? (I had a whole list to start a conversation and then my brain went blank)
I have narrowed down my mixed reef system to two tanks and system details, as well as gone over some of the wrasse and fish guides to try and narrow down my stocking list/plan. I've narrowed my list some but haven't finalized any decisions yet and would appreciate more experienced eyes to give this a look. Feedback always welcome and appreciated.
Tank options:
DIY Acrylic - 120"x48"x48" roughly 1,200 gallons DT volume (this is my dream/ideal tank and the one I am shooting for)
Glass cages - 130"x37.5"x36.5" roughly 730 gallons DT volume
There will be heavy filtration as I like fish in my reef and I like to feed my fish. Filtration will include roller fleece system of some kind, two "smaller" skimmers (each capable of handling 50 to 60% of system volume on its own - redundancy), algae reactor (undersized since there will be a 'fuge but scalable - add another if needed), a 'fuge with LR, sand, and fun macro algae (red gracilaria, dragons tongue, and blue hypnea - might set up as a separate DT inspired by an old coworker 'K' who taught me about Nishikigoi and a little about the philosophy of Japanese planted tanks).
One of the closed loops will run UV and there will be intermittent carbon usage.
System will be supported by a calcium reactor and kalk.
The livestock will be supported by manual feeding (frozen, etc.) in the AM and the PM with a mix of auto feed during the day (Apex and their auto feeders have my brain running 100mph)
The tank is going to have 4 or five main/large rock features (think islands and ridgelines) built from LR and Marco (mix of foundation, shelf, and reg) to provide lots of swimming space and hiding spots/ territory. There will also be a 6" DSB in the display tank.
Tank/Stocking Philosophy:
The goal for this tank is to create layers in my aquascape front to back and left to right so much that people say "Wow how big is that tank" rather than "That is a big tank" by breaking out of some of the normal aquascaping habits and creating depth and interest.
If all goes right I'd like the stocking list to do the same. Small, med, and large fish. Bottom dwellers, mid water, and upper/open water swimmers. As well as a good mix of color.
Questions:
Is the tank big enough to start breaking rules about mixing conspecifics? I.e. Pseudochromis, Basslets, Dwarf Angels, etc.
What stocking rules can I break/can’t I break
Stocked in order of least aggression to most aggressive but what about those that need “mature” systems?
Is this list ludicrous???
What questions did I forget? (I had a whole list to start a conversation and then my brain went blank)
Hope it makes sense!


