Black spots on copperband fins??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iqyax
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Iqyax

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2018
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
Location
SoCal
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. This is my first post on r2r!

I have a copperband in my qt tank and he has developed some black spots on his fins in the past week and they seem to be getting worse. Does anyone know what could be the cause and what the best course of treatment would be? I'm currently considering doing a freshwater dip to see if that makes a difference. He is still eating really well (live blackworms, mysis and spirulina brine shrimp) and is packing on weight, and the spots don't seem to be bothering him.

Thanks in advance for any input!
copperband spots 1.JPG
copperband spots 2.JPG
 
Welcome to R2R!!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy (1).gif

How long have you had the fish, and did you quarantine him before adding to your tank? Have you introduced anything new to the tank recently? #reefsquad join me in welcoming a new R2R user and helping out with these black spots please :) :)
 
@crabs_mcjones

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I've had him about 10 days or so and he is currently in my qt tank, not my main tank. The only other inhabitant is a captive bred black line blenny who has been in there about 15 days and is showing no symptoms.
 
@crabs_mcjones

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

I've had him about 10 days or so and he is currently in my qt tank, not my main tank. The only other inhabitant is a captive bred black line blenny who has been in there about 15 days and is showing no symptoms.
Are they only on his fins, or are you noticing them on his body as well? My first thought would be black Ich for black spots.
 
The spots look awfully large to be black ich (Please don't take my word on this though I am no expert), when we first got ours he had some spine damage that looked similar to what yours has on his dorsal spines but they were not on his other fins. I think it is more likely to be bacterial based on the size of the spots. He is eating, which is a really good sign, but maybe treat with acriflavine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/ if it starts to get worse.
 
Are they only on his fins, or are you noticing them on his body as well? My first thought would be black Ich for black spots.

@crabs_mcjones

So far only his fins, but it does seem to be spreading... It was initially only on distal portion of his first dorsal spine, but now its on 3 different fins :(
 
The spots look awfully large to be black ich (Please don't take my word on this though I am no expert), when we first got ours he had some spine damage that looked similar to what yours has on his dorsal spines but they were not on his other fins. I think it is more likely to be bacterial based on the size of the spots. He is eating, which is a really good sign, but maybe treat with acriflavine: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/ if it starts to get worse.

@Peter K

thanks for the input! I was kinda leaning towards something bacterial, but i am definitely no expert. i will look into acriflavine. thanks again!
 
I don’t see much very alarming in the photos, I’d be inclined to continue to feed the fish (add zoecon, selcon, or vita chem to the food, soaked) and keep the water clean and observe.

With clearer photos I may change my mind but it seems OK to me
 
I don’t see much very alarming in the photos, I’d be inclined to continue to feed the fish (add zoecon, selcon, or vita chem to the food, soaked) and keep the water clean and observe.

With clearer photos I may change my mind but it seems OK to me

@4FordFamily That is encouraging! thanks for replying. I do in fact use selcon so we're on the same page there. Do you think there would be any benefit to a freshwater dip or would that cause more stress than its worth?

I just tried getting clearer pics but was unsuccessful...
 
@4FordFamily That is encouraging! thanks for replying. I do in fact use selcon so we're on the same page there. Do you think there would be any benefit to a freshwater dip or would that cause more stress than its worth?

I just tried getting clearer pics but was unsuccessful...
I’d leave it alone until we have white pictures or if something more obvious shows up
 
Would like to see pics of the fish under white light.

Might just be Lympho, as CBBs are very prone to that virus: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/

I’d leave it alone until we have white pictures or if something more obvious shows up

@Humblefish @4FordFamily Thanks for the help! Here are a couple pics with just white light (sorry they're not more clear). I did consider lymphocystis, but i thought that was usually whitish in color. On the bright side, it hasn't spread any further since taking the pics yesterday! :)
You_Doodle_2018-02-03T17_48_21Z.JPG
You_Doodle_2018-02-03T17_49_24Z.JPG
 
@Humblefish @4FordFamily Thanks for the help! Here are a couple pics with just white light (sorry they're not more clear). I did consider lymphocystis, but i thought that was usually whitish in color. On the bright side, it hasn't spread any further since taking the pics yesterday! :)
You_Doodle_2018-02-03T17_48_21Z.JPG
You_Doodle_2018-02-03T17_49_24Z.JPG
Wow I’m completely stumped.

I’d start with a freshwater dip and see if any of it “dislodges” but it looks too large to be flukes.
 
Guys i know this is an old thread. I am new hear with a newer tank (6 months). I have the exact same issues with my CBB. any thoughts on starting antibiotics? I am building a new quarantine tank today and should have it quick cycled in a couple weeks. I am all ears to those who have more experience. thanks!
 
Here is my CBB with little black and white spots on his fins. Any guesses? Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 20210515_124646.jpg
    20210515_124646.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210515_124644.jpg
    20210515_124644.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 44

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top