Blonde Naso not really eating…

  • Thread starter Thread starter ASIN28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Definitely, follow up on 2nd dose of pp, as if flukes may have been involved, eggs hatch after effectiveness of 1st dose. Try some live black worms as they have a high amount of protein. I'm glad to hear he is eating again. Watch for stringy poo, whether white or brown, sometimes you can even see it on the bottom of the tank.
Will definitely do a 2nd dose of PP. been trying live blackworms he wants nothing to do with them.
 
@Jay Hemdal So came home to this disaster today. Naso is covered in black spots. Black ich? I guess I’ll be starting copper treatment immediately
 

Attachments

  • 9B3A69B2-355D-48A1-921A-1A5847BD3DE2.jpeg
    9B3A69B2-355D-48A1-921A-1A5847BD3DE2.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 54

Attachments

  • 5BC10A9B-A647-4BBF-B0B3-86917A82DFAB.jpeg
    5BC10A9B-A647-4BBF-B0B3-86917A82DFAB.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 54
  • C8EBF93E-8E40-41A9-8026-554EBB0A7ED1.jpeg
    C8EBF93E-8E40-41A9-8026-554EBB0A7ED1.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 51
I’m reading that you treat like flukes with prazipro for black ich. This is already the 2nd dose of prazipro and they come out now
 
I’m reading that you treat like flukes with prazipro for black ich. This is already the 2nd dose of prazipro and they come out now
Yes, I was going to say, praziquantel is a better treatment for turbellarians (black ich) than copper is. Formalin dips are even better though. There seems to be 3 different organisms that cause black ich, and only one of them is fatal, the other two are self-limiting and go away over time.
Jay
 
Yes, I was going to say, praziquantel is a better treatment for turbellarians (black ich) than copper is. Formalin dips are even better though. There seems to be 3 different organisms that cause black ich, and only one of them is fatal, the other two are self-limiting and go away over time.
Jay
What formalin product is best to use in this case? Straight formalin or is there one made for marine aquariums?
 
What formalin product is best to use in this case? Straight formalin or is there one made for marine aquariums?
I use "pure" formalin which is 37% formaldehyde gas in water plus some methanol. You want to avoid 10% buffered formalin, I think the buffers are toxic. I'm not sure about the aquarium remedy formalin products, you wouldn't be able to use them properly unless they give a concentration so you can set up a proper dose.

My standard formalin dip is 150 ppm in tank water with good aeration for 45 minutes.

Jay
 
I use "pure" formalin which is 37% formaldehyde gas in water plus some methanol. You want to avoid 10% buffered formalin, I think the buffers are toxic. I'm not sure about the aquarium remedy formalin products, you wouldn't be able to use them properly unless they give a concentration so you can set up a proper dose.

My standard formalin dip is 150 ppm in tank water with good aeration for 45 minutes.

Jay
Thank you as always Jay
 
Update: I did prazipro immediately and what i believed to be black ich has disappeared and the Naso has been clean and eating and active for 2 weeks now since treatment.
I’m anxious to get him into the display tank I don’t want to keep him in the QT tank too much longer it’s been over a month. Do you think I am ok to put him in at this point being clear and healthy for 2 weeks now since being treated?
Thanks
 
Update: I did prazipro immediately and what i believed to be black ich has disappeared and the Naso has been clean and eating and active for 2 weeks now since treatment.
I’m anxious to get him into the display tank I don’t want to keep him in the QT tank too much longer it’s been over a month. Do you think I am ok to put him in at this point being clear and healthy for 2 weeks now since being treated?
Thanks
There is always SOME risk moving a fish out of quarantine. My minimum time frame is 14 days beyond the date that the last symptom was observed, but I almost always go longer than that. If the fish is stable in the QT, then go 30 days. If it is crowded, or if you can't manage the ammonia, then go 14 days.

Jay
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top