Blonde Naso Tang Wont Eat

jerrcarlson

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2013
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5-6 inch blonde naso tang that I have had for about 2 months. He is eating very little. All my other fish including my other tangs eat great. Because he has always been a big chicken I figured he would start to eat when he got more comfortable but he still acts as if he has no desire to eat like all my other fish do. Any suggestions?
 
Could you clarify if the fish is able to come out to feed and simply ignores the food or is he being bullied and not able to get close enough to the food to even try.

If it is the former, then I may insert a shameless plug for our Herbivore Frenzy which I just posted about last night and just now on Reef2Reef. If it is aggression from other fish, then you may need to think about making changes regarding tank mates. Have you seen him get thinner over two months? Is it possible he IS eating more than you suspect, and you just aren't seeing him eat?

Sorry to hear of this and I hope you can find a prompt remedy. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Larry
 
Yes, he is out. He is not being bullied in anyway. He just seems uniterested in eating. I do see him eat some but very little and he does pick at the rocks occassionally. I think he is getting skinnier although he still seems healthy. I did have someone suggest that they like to school and that if I got another one it may help him. I also know that tangs in general can be aggressive towards other tangs of their own kind. I am still new to the hobby and haven't had verty much experience with some of these issues. I will definitely read up on your herbivore frenzy.
 
You could try soaking the nori sheets or algae sheets in garlic x to entice the fish to eat.
 
Hi there
Mine only eats romaine lettuce And nothing else he just let all other food passed by him like yourself all other tangs have a bit of everything
 
my purple tang is a pig, but will not eat in front of me. he feeds the inverts that can not make it up to the clip. for a pt he doesnt do much swimming he chills in his hangout cave.
 
Try and get some Red or Brown Nori to entice feeding, have never seen a Tang pass up Red Algae. I have not seen any Blonde Naso's in the wild but have spent a lot of time in the water with Hawaiian Naso, they will occasionally be in mixed schools with other juvenile Tangs/Unicorns but once above 6-7" usually in pairs and grazing on brown macro algae. Good luck and keep us posted. Also what is your tanks specs ie: dimensions and flow etc...

Cheers, Todd
 
Thanks so much guys. As a rookie in this hobby your help is very much appreciated!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top