Blotches on Clownfish’s Head

LiquidSpace

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2022
Messages
180
Reaction score
136
Location
CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished a month and a half cycle and got my first fish. What I didn’t notice until I got home was this dark discoloration on the top of it’s head.

I know these aren’t the best pictures. Unfortunately I don’t have a quarantine and just want to double check that I’m not setting my tank up for disaster right off the bat. Am I overthinking things? It’s a very young fish.

I could set up a QT (wife might kill me…) but I’m worried because that sucker wouldn’t have cycled.
121DD072-F57A-4270-B2B6-F9EC2E7B8FB7.jpeg 10D30B34-C873-47F7-9400-A2A43ED0AD3B.jpeg A931A95E-16BD-497A-9AE2-75FE39104F07.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Set him up in QT. Lively guy, hope everything is fine.
 
Set him up in QT. Lively guy, hope everything is fine.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I've seen that issue quite a bit here, usually on tank raised white designer clowns. I don't know what the root cause is. It could be internal bruising, or some sort of bacterial infection.

Watch for additional symptoms: fish not eating well, white spots or rapid breathing.

Jay
 
I noticed something similar around when my clowns were showing signs of brook, it seemed to clean up after some freshwater dips and qt’ing.
The marking never seemed to bother the clowns.
 
Any update on the clowns? Did they survive or do they still have the spots? I'm going through a similar situation, just after cycling with Dr Tims, a month into the tank running, and my two clowns have spots on forehead and body.
 
This clown lived for about 1.5 years after this photo was taken. The blotches disappeared and I didn’t notice anything later.

It eventually passed away due to a weird white like film that would appear and disappear over the course of a few month. I could only see it under really blue lighting. I assumed it was brook at first but I figure it wasn’t, I think brook is a pretty fast killer. I don’t think it was related to these blotches.
 
This clown lived for about 1.5 years after this photo was taken. The blotches disappeared and I didn’t notice anything later.

It eventually passed away due to a weird white like film that would appear and disappear over the course of a few month. I could only see it under really blue lighting. I assumed it was brook at first but I figure it wasn’t, I think brook is a pretty fast killer. I don’t think it was related to these blotches.
Got it, thanks for the info. I'm hoping it will just pass also, obviously it's been stressful situation for them one week in a new tank that just got done cycling.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top