Bonded long fin clown fish at local lfs

squikymouse

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2023
Messages
11
Reaction score
21
Location
Kansas city Missouri
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't even know these were a thing, or that we're actually at the point where we can start breeding clownfish like gold fish.

20230728_161944-ANIMATION.gif
 
Didn't even know these were a thing, or that we're actually at the point where we can start breeding clownfish like gold fish.

20230728_161944-ANIMATION.gif
They’ve been around a while now but there are some insane morphs people have turned into long fin clowns. I mean Black Storms are one of them…
 
I’ve got a pair of Longfin flurry clowns. They are quite expensive but I also have the OG clowns in another tank and I love them both.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4199.png
    IMG_4199.png
    807 KB · Views: 59
I’ve got a pair of Longfin flurry clowns. They are quite expensive but I also have the OG clowns in another tank and I love them both.
I'm still trying to get over that they exist at all. Wish all the saltwater fish were as easy to breed as these guys. Imagine the coloration we could get, the price drop would also be nice
 
The main reason for the high price in the long fins is from what I’ve read they only have a 1/100 chance to produce another Longfin. Even when both parents have the same trait.
 
I'll be honest, I think these look horrible. They look like freshwater bettas and don't look like they belong in a reef.

I also don't care much for the designer clown pug faces. The Bali aquarich ones still have a nicer face.
I thought they looked like fancy tail goldfish, imidietly what I thought of was "man the life expectancy on these guys must suck seeing as how they are constantly pushed around by the flow".

I still think they look cool though and could totally see them in a seahorse tank.
 
They did this to goldfish, in 30 years clowns will be unrecognizable. That'll be a sad time, natural varieties are so much better in every way.

1690582647311.png


1690582691845.png


1690582729360.png


1690582755255.png


All these poor goldies have a significantly reduced quality of life compared to regular ones. Most live only a few years. The long fin clownfish are only the start. There're a few "stubby" clownfish floating around already. I can't imagine the poor things can live a normal life.

1690582940543.png


Someday, someone will mix these clownfish traits, and then "fancy" clowns will be all the rage. Just like the goldfish, they'll slowly bob around for a few years until they die. It's the "clownapocalypse". Eventually, somebody's going to make "Glo Clowns", and then all hope for regular healthy fish being the norm will be lost.
 
Didn't even know these were a thing, or that we're actually at the point where we can start breeding clownfish like gold fish.

20230728_161944-ANIMATION.gif
My lfs carries those a lot but want like 200 for each clown
 
The main reason for the high price in the long fins is from what I’ve read they only have a 1/100 chance to produce another Longfin. Even when both parents have the same trait.
When each pair breeds every 2 weeks in the hundreds that are raised in each clutch that’s a lot of long fins even though it’s one in a hundred.
 
Longfins are neat but also susceptible to tail nippers such as other clowns, small puffers, and other typical nippers. Ive seen them since eary 2000's (year)
 
They are still available, place is called petopia. Couldn't get them myself sadly as I've already got clowns that I love.
Im in colorado haha. And I just got the two little baby clowns for my nano!
 
say what GIF
I thought they meant Long Horn Clownfish. I heard the genetics department at Texas A&M is eager to get this done.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top