No photographic updates as of now. I hesitate to say the tank is on the back burner, but realistically speaking, it is. I’ve got a special needs adult child we are trying to help through community college at the moment, as well as two elementary age kids in extracurriculars, on top of both my wife and I working full time. I’m sure many of you can relate to the time demands of family life impacting reef focus. Outside of feeding the fish daily and trying to keep the glass clean, I’ve let the tank just do its thing. I try to remember to fill the topoff and carbon dosing bottle but I slip on that occasionally and will find the return sucking air or the bacto balance bottle bone dry. I haven’t been able to get excited about new livestock or coral shop in a while. I find myself talking shop a lot less with friends in the hobby as well. I’m sure most people can relate with hobby interest levels experiencing an ebb and flow.
Down to 6 anthias, One of the females turned male and the previous male wasted away from stress, Same stress situation happened with the chromis and I’m down to one. My royal gramma recently passed from old age, but it was an 8 year old fish, far exceeding its typical lifespan. No cause for concern. Tank is looking scant on fish stock.
The berghia are plugging away at the aiptasia. You’d have to see it daily to tell the difference, but they’ve generally thinned out the population. Not working as fast or dramatically as I’d have hoped starting with 20 of them…perhaps the bristleworms and amphipods are predating on the eggs, as I have heard can happen.
Sps are growing very well. No plans on doing any regular fragging like I used to do on my last tank, until it is necessary. For now I’m just going to let them grow big until they become a problem.
Nutrients have come way up, with phosphate being up in the 0.3 range. I have curtailed testing for the most part and just letting the tank run. I imagine the several fish dying and breaking down have caused the nutrients to climb. Sponge, coraline, and feather duster growth are tremendous. The tank is as lively of a biomass as I’ve ever had which is showing in the coral growth. The acropora are as happy as I’ve seen in my care.
I’ve got some odd alkilinty creep going on, with my last reading being 9.5, up from the usual 7’s and low 8’s on the last testing which was maybe 6 months ago. Not sure what to make of that other than either a bunk meter reaching its end of life, or salt stratification. Either way, just letting it run as is, It’s all very happy so I’m not changing anything. Enjoy the tank, don’t chase measurables.
My skimmer pump broke down again recently. I’ve about had it with this skimmer. Skimmate-production and overall aesthetic-wise it is a work of absolute art when it actually functions…but one design element is an absolute disaster and that is how the pump articulates with the body (screw on, hard wired to controller). Also going to sling some mud here…Tunze has been the most disappointing brand I’ve ever owned in this hobby. Every pump has felt cheap, light weight, and brittle. Not a single electrical tunze device has lasted beyond its warranty period, and while the local rep is by no means rude or unprofessional, they’re not terribly helpful either, with most emails simply ending up as a website redirect to order a replacement at full price. I will never purchase one of their products again, as I’m batting 0 for 4 now on them. 2-6105 powerheads, the 9430 skimmer, and the auto topoff. All the least rugged and cheaply made products I’ve owned (minus the skimmer acrylic work itself which is nice). I’ve had greater reliability out of maxspect, jebao, skimz (all Chinese brands) than the vaunted German engineering of tunze that has been a perpetual letdown. I am not trying to deter others from them, and I know they’re a sponsor and well loved brand. It has been beyond frustrating to own their products personally and as this is an update on my own hobby, I feel entitled to share my opinion.
Due to life being what it is, and the absurdly rising costs of this hobby, I have opted against replacing the pump at all, nor am I going to replace the skimmer. Just going to keep letting the tank run as it is and see what happens. I know many people would consider it patent blasphemy to try to run an sps tank skimmerless and with no refugium. But watch me. Perhaps it will crash and burn, perhaps I’ll change my mind and cave, buying a replacement something. But today. Just have bigger concerns than a skimmer. I’ll see about taking some pictures at some point. May sound like a downer of an update, but this is where we are at today