Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

I think I posted this pic about 500 pages ago. :) My last quart. My brother-in-law is no longer my brother-in-law. :(

Moonshine.jpg
 
Tonight the remaining 2 feral kittens were out. They are not too afraid of me. They are also quite familiar with the sound cat food makes when it hits the bowl. They are such a cute family. Mommy cat is a good mother. She watches and grooms them all the time. I think she has figured out I'm not going to hurt them.
 
Tonight the remaining 2 feral kittens were out. They are not too afraid of me. They are also quite familiar with the sound cat food makes when it hits the bowl. They are such a cute family. Mommy cat is a good mother. She watches and grooms them all the time. I think she has figured out I'm not going to hurt them.
what happened to thr other two
 
I love vintage aircraft as well. The WWII Museum in New Orleans displays their planes the same way I displayed all my model planes when I was a kid - they hung them from the ceiling. :) Awesome exhibit! A few pictures from my visit a few years ago.

B17.jpg


B25.jpg


Corsair.jpg


Dauntless.jpg


Hellcat.jpg


P51.jpg
B17 Flying Fortress
B25 Mitchell
F4U Corsair
SBD Dauntless
TBF Avenger
P51 Mustang

... I love WWII aviation
 
IMG_20190629_155901482_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190629_161428807_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190629_155246635.jpg
IMG_20190629_155241800.jpg
IMG_20190628_203951033_HDR.jpg

Somehow I missed the pictures of the 4 or 5 Mustangs here....one is the original "Old Crow" and the real WW11 Pilot was a guest of honor. Chuck Yeager called this guy the greatest pilot he ever knew. High praise indeed from a great like Chuck Yeager.
F8F Bearcat
P47 Thunderbolt
P40 Warhawk (loan/lease to British RAF)
P40 Warhawk (American)
 
Last edited:
Went to the liquor store Saturday. It was one year since redoing the floor in the living room after the big tank crack-tastrophe. I remembered being so high from the stain and urethane, that I just ended up sitting on the back porch and drinking rum until my head stopped spinning. Ended up finishing a bottle of that Blue Chair Bay Key Lime Rum. It's only 15% so about like drinking a bottle of strong red wine, only tastes better....

...anyway short story long, I got another bottle of the Key Lime rum(not to be drank in one night on the back porch), and the girlfriend saw a jar of Old Smokey moonshine peaches. She got a sparkly eyed when I told her to grab it. These are sliced peaches, in a jar, and filled with 100 proof moonshine. If any of y'all are familiar with fruit soaked in alcohol, you'll know the fruit is where all the alcohol is. Boy, are those some strong peaches. It's like "that just tastes like a peac... OK, there's the 'shine!" The moonshine left in the jar is more like the sweet syrup in those peach cups, but with a little alcohol left. Somewhere around 20 proof or so...
 
Last edited:
Went to the liquor store Saturday. It was one year since redoing the floor in the living room after the big tank crack-tastrophe. I remembered being so high from the stain and urethane, that I just ended up sitting on the back porch and drinking rum until my head stopped spinning. Ended up finishing a bottle of that Blue Chair Bay Key Lime Rum. It's only 15% so about like drinking a bottle of strong red wine, only tastes better....

...anyway short story long, I got another bottle of the Key Lime rum(not to be drank in one night on the back porch), and they girlfriend saw a jar of Old Smokey moonshine peaches. She got a sparkly eyed when I told her to grab it. These are sliced peaches, in a jar, and filled with 100 proof moonshine. If any of y'all are familiar with fruit soaked in alcohol, you'll know the fruit is where all the alcohol is. Boy, are those some strong peaches. It's like "ok, that's just tastes like a peac... OK, there's the 'shine!" The moonshine left in the jar is more like the sweet syrup in those peach cups, but with a little alcohol left. Somewhere around 20 proof or so...
The cherries are the same. Fudge made with cherries is evil.
 
The cherries are the same. Fudge made with cherries is evil.
Regular Old Smokey moonshine cherries are good. Do not try the chocolate covered moonshine cherries. They do not taste like Queen Anne cordial cherries. ;Vomit;Yuck
 
Oooo... I just got an idea.

Peach cobbler, with old smokey moonshine peaches, vanilla icecream and old smokey whiskey caramel sauce.

Cooking the peaches will probably get rid of the alcohol tho...
 
agree. Once a week I blow off my rocks around my rocks
I do a five gallon water change once a week
On the the first weekend of the month I clean the filters.

Once a week 1/4 teaspoon reef roids
Once a week 1/4 teaspoon benpets reef food.
With out quality water your whole tank suffers.

This is why I like reefing. There's a balance and harmony that can be achieved on an individual system.

- No water changes
- 1/2tsp reef roids and benepets every 2 days
- feed 3-4x per day
- Nutrients above WWC levels

And here's a coral when I got it vs a month later. Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't be alive. Both pics under full spectrum lighting.

ec3bcb2c1d63b16e3337a154f8630362.jpg
ee431d58148f1af45178013c7038e3c2.jpg



Then the question, what is water quality? Does it mean complete and balanced trace, or do you mean nutrient free.
 
Last edited:
This is why I like reefing. There's a balance and harmony that can be achieved on an individual system.

- No water changes
- 1/2tsp reef roids and benepets every 2 days
- feed 3-4x per day
- Nutrients above WWC levels

And here's a coral when I got it vs a month later. Conventional wisdom says it shouldn't be alive. Both pics under full spectrum lighting.

ec3bcb2c1d63b16e3337a154f8630362.jpg
ee431d58148f1af45178013c7038e3c2.jpg



Then the question, what is water quality? Does it mean complete and balanced trace, or do you mean nutrient free.

So many ways to peel an orange... and no two reef tanks are the same. Way too many variables.

By no means am I successful with acropora, im actually very good at killing them, but I do pretty well with montipora. I have to stay on top of monthly water changes tho. I've found around 4 weeks to be optimal, sooner does not give any additional benefits, and waiting longer(as I've recently done) has serious negative consequences. Just lost my myagi tort, and a few inches away is a tri color that is thriving.
 
Where do you all think is the best placement for a temp probe. I’ve been having my ranco’s probe in my return chamber, but it seems that the return would be the warmest place in the tank(after heaters, big pump, fuge lights). The cord is 6ft so I have a lot of options. What do you all think would be the best place to put the probe to ensure the display temp is the proper temperature. The water feels a little colder than 78 to the touch in the display, is the reason why I have concern.
 
The water feels a little colder than 78 to the touch in the display, is the reason why I have concern.

Ranco are pretty reliable. But I would put it in the very first chamber where water goes into the sump
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top