Brand new Bubble Magus curve 9 plus DC pump intermittent off and on

Oldsalt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2018
Messages
347
Reaction score
443
Location
Perth Western Australia
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 weeks old, this skimmer pump is acting up badly. It turns off when it feels like only for a few seconds, then back on. Then it foams up and spills enough clean water to nearly fill the skimmate cup completely! This started recently. I 1st woke up to an overflowing skimmate cup a few days ago. I brought the pump in to the store as requested and they ran it only for 10 minutes and said it was OK. He suggested that I video it to catch it in the act. If it acts up, they will replace the skimmer right away. So I drove back home 30 miles and put it in the skimmer and ran it while I had my video rolling. It turned off and on 5 times in an hour. Now I have proof so I'm bringing it back this morning. I'm posting this because I've seen a few complaints of these skimmers spitting water out of a full collection cup. They tried raising the skimmer thinking it was too deep but still came home to the problem. None of them apparently sat there watching it run. Could be a problem in Bubble Magus QC department for the pump and/or its DC module. So I've been with a faulty skimmer for a week now. It's not even on tonight. Not impressed.
 
BM is known for their bad pumps. I think this maybe the reason they came out with the elite models which have a sicce needle wheel pump.

Basically, you buy cheap, you get cheap. BM is a budget friendly line, with all the bells and whistles of higher priced skimmers, but the trade off is the cheap pumps.
 
Thanks Homer

I will be showing this to the salesman today if he gets touchy about replacing the skimmer. Should I bring the whole skimmer back or just the pump and its DC controller?

Funny that it ran beautifully for over 2 weeks. Now it's sick. Really sick!.

Edit. I wonder if I could just buy a Sicce pump to go in?
 
I'm not sure if a sicce will fit in a regular BM. The elite model has a special bracket made just for the sicce pump.

Personally, if they'll take it back, I would spend another 50$ and get an elite 9 with an AC sicce motor.
 
BM is known for their bad pumps. I think this maybe the reason they came out with the elite models which have a sicce needle wheel pump.

Basically, you buy cheap, you get cheap. BM is a budget friendly line, with all the bells and whistles of higher priced skimmers, but the trade off is the cheap pumps.
i agree. that skimmer isn't cheap though being in the 450 range. i remember their rock line of skimmer pumps, of which i went through 2 of them on an NAC skimmer. threw one against the wall!
 
It's only 3 weeks old. They better replace it or I will have a fit!!!

Edit the store owner told me that he will replace it if this keeps happening and I have video.. I definitely have video of the pump dying and coming back on 4 times in an hour.
I'll gladly pay 50 bucks more for the elite
 
My (same) experience with BM they were awesome with fixing... it’s either gonna be your c2 controller or the power supply. Seaside aquatics is who you need to contact. Have a electronic photo of your receipt. BM is well worth the money.
 
At 3 weeks old, I'm sure they'll replace it. At the very least they'll replace the motor, but possibly not the entire skimmer.

Out of curiosity though, I would ask them if a sicce would fit. If it won't, I would ask about just paying an upgrade fee for the elite. The extra 50$ is worth it IMO.

409.99 for the curve 9 plus, or 449.99 for the elite 9.
 
Thanks

I'd rather keep the skimmer body because it's broken in. My corals are starting to show stress
 
My (same) experience with BM they were awesome with fixing... it’s either gonna be your c2 controller or the power supply. Seaside aquatics is who you need to contact. Have a electronic photo of your receipt. BM is well worth the money.
I tried a new power supply. No good

What's a c2 controller? In the pump motor ?
 
I tried a new power supply. No good

What's a c2 controller? In the pump motor ?
May have called it the wrong thing but it’s the controller where you can dial in the %of power. When mine went bad, that’s what they replaced.
 
May have called it the wrong thing but it’s the controller where you can dial in the %of power. When mine went bad, that’s what they replaced.
They replaced the pump and power supply. It's running perfectly now. I had to show video of it going off then on with a huge surge of water filling the cup until it overflowed. It did this at random times but we counted 4 in less than an hour. That was very convincing evidence seeing that the 1st salesman implicated that it was my power board - so I hooked up a fuge light right next door on the same board but it didn't go out when the pump did. No argument there. They didn't have an elite model in stock, but it wouldn't have made a difference because they didn't take the skimmer. The elite pump uses a Sicce pump and totally different mounting plate, plus the spare hole in the body (in case you want to rotate the basic 9 plus water intake 90°) isn't there in the elite.

Anyway problem is solved. Skimmer running even better than it did before the pump totally crapped out. It's only 3 weeks old. Another thing that I noticed is that I was being slightly shocked when putting my hand in the sump. That's not happening anymore. The Magus DC "DSP 4000 Rock" pump is totally encased in resin. I took it apart per the sheet they provide to see there's no way in the rear. All one can do with that pump is clean or replace the impeller and/or its bushings. If I had to guess, I'd say that there was probably a small crack or bubble in the resin causing an electrical leak. It probably started out small but grew in size as electrons ate it away. I base that guess on 30 years experience as an Avionics technician in the USNavy. There's no way a pump like that could be repaired. When it gets to China, they'll very likely toss it in the garbage. The power supply might have a bad component too. That is also solid resin over the circuit board. Can't even be opened. Planned obsolescence? ;)
 
Glad it got resolved. I’ve dealt with a handful of companies with issues and sea side aquatics impressed me the most (maybe bc they are used to it lol) I’ll take 3 BMs over 1 [competitor] any day of the week- I don’t need my bubbles to speak Italian :)
 
Glad it got resolved. I’ve dealt with a handful of companies with issues and sea side aquatics impressed me the most (maybe bc they are used to it lol) I’ll take 3 BMs over 1 [competitor] any day of the week- I don’t need my bubbles to speak Italian :)
That made me laugh. I'm drifting off to sleep here and getting visions of the pope blessing a congregation using a huge bubble wand. ;Shamefullyembarrased
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top