Brand new refracto juice BRS not accurate?

DOJOLOACH

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2020
Messages
175
Reaction score
65
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received some of the brs refracto juice and checked calibration on my refractometer. Measures 5ppt off, at 30 ppt.

This had me puzzled because I just opened it after heating to 78 and shaking, brand new bottle I got today. I checked it against my tank and the old refractometer juice and those each measure 35ppt, as they should.

By looking at my parameters and what my salt tested 3 days ago, can I safely say the new brs refracto juice is bad?
Using red sea coral pro salt I have :

11.9 dkH
475 calcium
1400 mg
Ph 8.1

These values are accurate to the T with what the salt container says at 35 ppt
 
Interesting find. would you be willing to purchase another trusted brand like Brightwell and checking against that? or may be @Bulk Reef Supply can replace it for you. better be safe

Funny thing is, the brs bottle is made by bright well. Not trying to blame brs but I have heard of inconsistencies of these hobby grade calibration fluids
 
Funny thing is, the brs bottle is made by bright well. Not trying to blame brs but I have heard of inconsistencies of these hobby grade calibration fluids
Is there another besides bright well?
 
Maybe the lid was not tight and some evaporation occurred. It happens sometimes. Always make sure the lid is tight when done using calibration fluid.
 
Same situation. Compared BRS to brightwell and BRS is a full 5 PPT less than brightwell. Brightwell appears to be the more accurate option.
 
I had the exact same situation with brs and brightwell calibration solutions last week, just never had time to post about it. I think the brightwell is the accurate one
 
Same situation. Compared BRS to brightwell and BRS is a full 5 PPT less than brightwell. Brightwell appears to be the more accurate option.

How do you know which is accurate (if either)?
 
Don’t really know, but it’s real odd that a few of us have noticed the exact same thing. I’m just saying that the BRS is 5 ppt lower than brightwell, and I don’t think either of mine are evaporated they are too new
 
5 ppt off just like u said
But the brs is made by bright well, adding further mystery.

I'm going to do the home solution that randy suggested. I bought a 2 liter measuring cup and I have a scale for the salt
 
let me know what you come up with, based on the amount of salt I mix I would still put my money on the brightwell being closer to actual 35
 
Same here as mine was reading 1.028.
Old solution, 1.026.
Different brand 1.026.
Swingarm 1.026, lol.
Tropic marin floater 1.026.
Made up solution 1.026.

I use the swingarm most of the time.
Once a month I cross reference with the others.

No matter what you test its good to have 1 or 2 other forms of testing that you know are correct.
 
What kind of refract do you use? You can calibrate with RODI at 1.000 if you have a VeeGee and verify that way.
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley is there a Barny version of your Article for some of us less educated reefers? I have read allot of the articles on reefkeeping.com. And I do enjoy them but many are way over my head o_O
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley is there a Barny version of your Article for some of us less educated reefers? I have read allot of the articles on reefkeeping.com. And I do enjoy them but many are way over my head o_O

"This 3.65 weight percent sodium chloride solution can be made by dissolving 3.65 grams of sodium chloride in 96.35 grams (mL) of purified fresh water. "

Doesnt get much simpler, just need accurate measuring instruments.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top