Brand new tank, horrible smell, help!

Clarinuto

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2018
Messages
443
Reaction score
247
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my new saltwater 75 gallon tank yesterday using live sand and dry rock. This morning it smells so bad that I can barely take it. The whole first floor of our house smells :(. From what I read, it is probably because my dry rock wasn't cured?? My real want though is just to find out what I can do to make this smell better. It's making me regret setting it up, truly, and if my research is right that it will smell for another couple weeks.... I'm in trouble. I've been up for about an hour and am pretty done with it.

There is nothing living in there besides the live sand. I have no plans to add anything living until it fully cycles. The water is cloudy still this morning... I assume because of whatever issues are causing the smell.

Thanks for your help.
 
Yes, it is the rock. Most people cycle their rocks in a trashcan outside or in the garage to avoid what you are smelling...
You can try that or just live with the smell for a little while...
 
Thank you. Is my guess about it smelling for a couple weeks right? If so, might need to go get a trash can :)
 
Yeah, every tank is different but 2 weeks is about average. Did you at least hose off as much of the dead matter on the rocks before beginning this? There are plenty of videos and articles on dry rock cycling, @Ryanbrs did a tutorial on the BRS series....
 
Several large water changes will help for the first couple of weeks. This can get expensive with saltwater, though.

Or, pull out the rock and put in a bin with freshwater, heat, powerhead... then cure a couple weeks. The first few days you will want to do almost 100% water changes to clear out the crud. Then start over in the main tank with saltwater. If using tap water, user a product to dechlorinate the water...i used acheap Tetra dechorinator i used to use for my freshwater tanks.
 
Thank you guys!! Super helpful and I am going to pull out the rock and cure separately in the garage, while also setting up the carbon reactor to help control some of the smell that is currently polluting the tank and do a large water change. Good thing I have the day off. :)
 
Hi how much live sand did you add and did you add fresh or mixed salt water I think it if you add fresh water and mix with salt in the tank it may be possible that the bacteria in the sand may perishe and that may be the reason your tank stinks.
 
I added 60 pounds of CaribSea Arag-Alive Live Aragonite Reef Sand and used RO/DI premixed saltwater, so I am hoping the bacteria lives! *fingers crossed*
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top