Bristle worm delimma.I know How to catch one!

  • Thread starter Thread starter JVH
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

JVH

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
584
Reaction score
72
Location
North Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew I had a few smallish bristle worms because I found one on my live rock (tiny) at my initial set up...I now on occasion started seeing them around.
I put in a small clam on the 1/2 shell for the inverts and the nassiarious snails, shrimp & hermit crabs LOVE it!
Well today I found the shrimp, one snail and 2 bristle worms all sitting around the shell eating the clam as if they were sitting around the dinner table! It was great! However, One of the bristle worms is all grown up! It was pretty big and I feel like I can now catch them with the 1/2 clam shell for bait.. But It is life in my tank..
So should I get rid of them? Will they keep getting bigger? should I get rid of them?? will they cause a problem? SHOULD I GET RID OF THEM??:mad::confused:
 
Everyone says to keep them, but when I upgraded my tank I went with sterile rocks to make sure I didn't have bristle worms in the new tank. My old tank was infested with them. Yeah I get it they're beneficial but boy do they gross me out. You can always relocate the large one to the fuge compartment of your sump.
 
Everyone says to keep them, but when I upgraded my tank I went with sterile rocks to make sure I didn't have bristle worms in the new tank. My old tank was infested with them. Yeah I get it they're beneficial but boy do they gross me out. You can always relocate the large one to the fuge compartment of your sump.

Not to many critters bug be me these guys do! I will be doing an upgrade in June and I think I'm going to get rid of them unless someone convinces me otherwise!
 
I would just leave it alone. As for feeding a clam to your cleanup crew, that seems like over kill and a good way to raise your PO4. I think you would be better off letting them do their job as a cleanup crew and saving the clams on the half shell for yourself to eat. [emoji3]
 
Well, I am a responsible clam on the 1/2 shell user!
I only put in 1 or 2 halves the day before or the day of my water change (and they are about 1" long very small) so any extra nutrients in the tank are short lived..
And its only once a week and I do the WC within a few hours or the day after so its fine!
It was recommended to feed the star fish but he could care less! If you want to take inventory of your nassarious snails, drop one in and watch them all come out! So the way in which I feed the parameters are always fine but thank you.
 
your 1 big one, isn't just 1 I can guarantee that . put the clam in about 3 hours after lights go off then check back in an hr or 2 with a flashlight , you might be surprised .
 
OH believe me I know I have more! I have one that pops his head out of a rock (that I no longer move around) But this one is the biggest, fattest and bristliest one I have seen yet! I think Ill past on the night time clam feeding. I don't want to have nightmares :oops::eek: LOL
 
A melinarus (spelling) wrasse can keep bristle worms in check. Also a nice flash of color from rock to rock.
 
I've never had issues. But everyone's opinions differ. I've had more issues with hermits. Lol

Even a six line wrasse is got for this.

Bristle worms are a good cuc member but I can't stand the look. I noticed a difference within the hour of adding the wrasse.
 
Okay so it looks like my big fat bristle one may have been Big fat girl!
Coming out of the little cracks and crevices of The area of where this giant bristle worm was are at least four different sizes of bristle worms ranging from tiny, teeny tiny, teeny-weeny!
No doubt they're all going to become big and fat so the dilemma continues......
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top