Bristleworm on Frag and what to do

brianbrennan

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 29, 2021
Messages
22
Reaction score
8
Location
Boston
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get an opinion on what this guy is and if I should avoid putting the frag in the tank. Got a shipment of 5 frags, the others don't have anything as obvious as this but seeing as this guy is about 3 inches long I don't know how anything else would be as obvious.

unnamed (7).jpg
 
What do you think about other frags? They all came from the same seller. Worth not dealing with any of them?
 
I am not sure if the eggs from a worm survive the dip or not. Hopefully someone else will know for a fact.
There is still the potential that it's a dorvilleidae worm and not a bobbit at all, it's just not worth the risk of putting the worm in the tank unless positive of the id
 
If you have a different tank, you can feed the Bobbie to watch it grow big and strong lol. If not definitely toss it do not put it in your DT.
 
If you have a different tank, you can feed the Bobbie to watch it grow big and strong lol. If not definitely toss it do not put it in your DT.
I think the question now is what to do with the frags? I'm not sure if a dip will kill any eggs or not. I know some animals eggs survive coral dips but I'm not sure if they all do. Any idea?
 
What kind of frags? Can they be taken off the plugs? If yes, take them off, dip, and put them in your tank or put on new plugs. No more worms!
 
This is on a toadstool leather, the other frags I got were 3 mushrooms and an acan. The toadstool appears to be on a cutout of rock rather than a frag plug. The acan is also on a piece of rock and I think it'd be pretty tough to fully cut it off. The 3 mushrooms I might be able to though, though I know its a little bit tougher
 
I know for a fact you can cut the toadstool at the base of the Rock stick a toothpick in it and then you could elastic band that to a new rock.
 
The Acan and mushrooms will be a little harder. I guess for the mushrooms, I would take them out of the water but I'm shriveling up inspect the rock closely skip it and then put it in your tank.
 
The acan is usually a coral skeleton if that's really grown into the Rock not much you're going to be able to do with it. But if it truly is a frag that's glued on a rock you should be able to pop it off maybe with a screwdriver.
 
I think the question now is what to do with the frags? I'm not sure if a dip will kill any eggs or not. I know some animals eggs survive coral dips but I'm not sure if they all do. Any idea?
Honestly I have killed frags determined to get them off plugs… so he’s faced with this as I was. I ended up doing 2.
  1. Make a QT tank for your coral. Dip them before going in the QT tank and watch them like a hawk.
  2. Accepted the fact that all you’ll ever do is dip, so inspect as well as you can, dip, and toss in DT. You’ll just have to deal with the consequences if any arise, but be ok with that.
 
Throw it away. From the looks it could potentially be a young bobbit
Yeah, I’ve never seen a bristle worm with a face like an aiptasia. And, that’s what your picture looks like. I recommend napalm.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top