Brown algae (… diatoms?) in sump

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2022
Messages
3,261
Reaction score
5,736
Location
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,

My tank is brand now; barely two months in. The nitrogen cycle has been completed and the first two clowns have been added a week ago. All is thriving and all is well.

I have seen diatoms come and go in the display; keeping short and low intensity period of light for the first three months to avoid the worst.

I do however have this brown algae growth in my sump; i assume it is diatoms. Would you do anything about this- or just wait it out?

Silicate: 0.8 PPM

I am running a Kessil A160 refugium light on a 12 hours schedule basis the Triton method.

Thanks,

28563137-9C1B-4D1B-A06B-2301EB509D59.jpeg 4DDACCF0-33FA-48BF-99C9-72117F956F0A.jpeg C451711A-FDC4-4605-900B-54AB01AF55C0.jpeg
 
There is little to do but wait it out if its in the sump. It will consume what fuels it and go mostly away but that is also a drawback to a sump refugium light and why I use a reactor wrapped in reef background. Its just a refugium in a can.
 
There is little to do but wait it out if its in the sump. It will consume what fuels it and go mostly away but that is also a drawback to a sump refugium light and why I use a reactor wrapped in reef background. Its just a refugium in a can.
Aye thats fine, thought so! I’ll close the doors and go find my patience somewhere! Might pop open a can of beer while I wait ;)

Cheers!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top