Brown Gelatinous Growth on Live Rock

Ober_Reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 24, 2021
Messages
655
Reaction score
419
Location
Eastern Michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

So I noticed this brownish clear gelatinous growth on my live rock yesterday and figured it was just that the back of my tank wasn’t getting enough flow. It came back this morning and I am worried it’s dinos or something else. Looking for some insight and tips on how to get ahead of this. It’s kind of hard to see in the picture but I’m hoping you guys can see what I am talking about. My tank does run a little close if not bordering zero nitrates most of the time which I have been trying to combat will heftier feedings. My phosphates run pretty steady under .04 but never really at zero. I water change and test every Sunday.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

460484AA-7EE8-40E3-A471-19AB2C58D4F5.jpeg EE828AD6-3FA9-41DD-9920-4609A707A00B.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Pics would be helpful but sounds like dinoflagellates.
Cyano would be other
Take pics under white lights
 
Hope this is better
Unfortunately, reason I stated to take pics under white lights is everything in Pic is heavy blue and Affording no way to determine.
 
Unfortunately, reason I stated to take pics under white lights is everything in Pic is heavy blue and Affording no way to determine.
Sorry I will try and get a better pic, I haven’t really done much with my hydras since setting the BRS AB+ setting. I have had dinos before years ago so I’m pretty sure it is it. I am on paternity leave so I’m between having my hands full I did some research and found a lot of info a lot of which can be contradictory based off other info found. Any solid tips? So far I’m thinking I need to increase my nitrate and phos, and thought about buying a UV sterilizer but I need to do further research on a smaller one as I do jot have a lot of space.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top