Brown Residue in Calcium Reservoir

Duncan Tse

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2019
Messages
350
Reaction score
178
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting some brown residue in my calcium reservoir. Used sodium bicarbonate.

Just wondering what is this and is it still safe to dose?

f6bc1d6a84c5218d0245e1db440d537f.png
 
BRS did a series on which supplements mixed pure and which ones had some residue.
Kinda long but is in-depth. Which brand do you use, and how long since you last rinsed the container?
Good luck and happy reefing
 
I use Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2, and have been noticing that my Ca solution has been turning brown in the dosing bottle while it remains clear in the sealed bottle. Haven't noticed any adverse effects in my tank but it is concerning. Following along.
 
My bad this wasn't sodium bicarbonate but it's calcium chloride purchased from reef supplies in Canada


I probably haven't rinsed this container in about half year but not sure if this will cause the brown sludge forming
 
My guess would be that this is some sort of oxidized impurity that is not soluble, and it’s been building up over time. Can you siphon it out of the bottom of the container into a waste area?
 
My guess would be that this is some sort of oxidized impurity that is not soluble, and it’s been building up over time. Can you siphon it out of the bottom of the container into a waste area?

Yes it can be siphoned out easily. Would you say this is harmful to my tank? Not sure if I should replace it or not
 
Yes it can be siphoned out easily. Would you say this is harmful to my tank? Not sure if I should replace it or not

It is not uncommon to find a brown precipitate in some types of calcium chloride. I suspect it is iron oxide, but do not know for sure. Folks have not noted a problem with it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top