Bubble Magus Curve 5 overflowing even at 6" height?

I have this same skimmer. Have you tried simply letting it overflow and let the output collect in a bigger bucket? I did when mine was overflowing like crazy and it poured out about 4 gallons of colored water before it stopped overflowing. I filled my ATO reservoir with mixed saltwater so that as the skimmer was dumping out gross water, fresh water was coming in. Use a white bucket so it's easier to see.

Best case it's clearing out a ton of organics for you. Worst case you do your weekly water change this week and you end up in the same spot.
 
One thing I have found that seems to work for me is put your skimmer in distilled white vinegar on the highest setting and let it run for about 3 days straight.

Rinse all of the components and let it air-dry for 2 days put it in the sump and it works
 
Older thread but also a question on the Curve 5. There is a tube that comes out of the skimmer cup. There is a plug that is in that line. When I have that in and the line is plugged, it overflows like crazy. When I unplug the line, there is a steady stream of water which empties from the cup, but it maintains a good level of micro bubbles inside of the cup. Am I supposed to leave this line unplugged? Thanks!!
 
The cup is used to collect the skimmate (the nasty organic stuff you don't want in your tank). The attached hose can be used to empty the collection cup of the waste without removing the cup from the skimmer. In your case you will want to leave this closed unless you have it draining into a larger collection container. While dialing in the skimmer, you want the bubbles in the main reaction chamber to come up to the lower part of the neck of the collection cup.
 
Right now, I have it draining back into my Filter sock. Not sure how to adjust it so it’s plugged and it doesn’t overflow the cup. I have it set to the minimum flow setting. The dkimmer is new but has been running for 3 months. I think it’s through the initial breakin period, but ?
 
The MAX setting on a curve 5 is letting the maximum water flow out of the skimmer body, so it’s actually the minimum setting as far as skimming goes. I know it’s counterintuitive, but to turn your skimmer down to the lowest setting, move the dial to MAX. Then let it run for a while and see if that slows it down.
 
Last edited:
I’ll give that a try!!
 
Argh. So, after about a week and a half it’s still overflowing. It’s sitting in about 9.5” of water. Think I should raise it up so it’s only sitting in about 7”?
 
Nuts. Mine was brand new.I ran it fully open for 2 days then dialed it in. It sits at 8.5" and runs like a champ. I've had it a month
 
I had to run my curve 5 in about 5-6 inches of water for it to work correctly/not overflow. I would try raising it up an inch at a time until you hit the sweet spot.
 
When there over flowing has any water treatments been used they send the skimmers crazy,also if it’s had a vinegar bath will probably need bedding in again
 
mine did that for about 24hrs when i first used it. After that it has calmed down and skimmer very nice and mine is in about 8.5" water.
It did start to go mad crazy when I did a filter sock change with a brand new sock and it did that for about 6+ hours. Since then i pre-washed all my new socks and hasn't overflowed since.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top