Budget Oceanic 8g (Heavy on the DIY mods)

Tentacles

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2020
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Game Plan:
I'm going to start off by saying this isn't my first reef tank, but it is my first in probably 5 years. I have found some ideas here and on Facebook, however for some of them its been somewhat difficult to track down specifics on the how to's. My plan is to document as much as possible along the way. Hopefully it will serve as a guide for someone later on, with detailed instructions for each step.

Original Setup:
100% stock Oceanic 8g biocube w/ PC lights
(100$ used from LFS)
Black Sand (included)
4 lbs LR (included)
OEM


Additions/ Mods:
6 lb LR
(7$/lb 42$)
Loc- line return mods (Free- had these parts at work, hence the ugly colors.. ill take it!) Details
Chamber 1-2 flow regulator tab removed (Free DIY)
Chamber 2 media basket (10$ light diffuser) Details

Future Plans:
LEDs in hood (Ordered, will dissect and DIY stay tuned)
MJ900 (Ordered)
Chamber 2 media basket (DIY, possibly order InTank basket later)
Fish Guard for sump (Probably DIY)
Chamber 1 (??? Suggestions?)

Livestock:
TBD

Coral:
Green Star Polyp
(not a fan of it, but wife insisted.. hopefully i can keep it on back wall and return line..)
TBD

*•.¸♥¸.•* Current View *•.¸♥¸.•*
101709429_189808508916416_6361327086317076480_n.jpg
​
 
Last edited:
I don't really have any suggestions, but I like the rockscape. Great for adding lots of coral.
 
How i made the loc line fit the BC return line.

Step 1 removed the stock return line from the BC
100840989_566455600962588_7516020539811430400_n.jpg

Step 2 disconnected the two stock pieces
Step 3 sanded the edge of the stock line fitting, so it wasn't so flat. This way it would be easier to connect the loc line fitting to it.
Step 4 boiled water
Step 5 held the swollen end of the T in the boiling water for only a few seconds, maybe 10 or so
Step 6 pressed the BC fitting into the loc line fitting, BINGO.
101955424_2410711575887374_703583147085791232_n.jpg

Step 7 connected my fittings to the T, had to try a few different setups to find what i liked.
101851475_559403311669539_7956222578475925504_n.jpg
101591565_270558017338690_5899616345355452416_n.jpg
 
I don't really have any suggestions, but I like the rockscape. Great for adding lots of coral.

Thanks, wont be long and we will be adding them! Still debating on what we want
 
Media basket details:
Chemi pure elite and purigen.

DF7AA173-EE99-4F9A-9964-778BD20D761D.jpeg 6DF723CF-7DAD-44E2-B3C6-0F9FDBAF2432.jpeg ACEAA82D-3908-4550-9B69-3A5DCAB90301.jpeg E1461DEE-0873-4F5C-A969-D17BBF8E086C.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top