Build onto my current stand or build a new one?

Should I build onto my current stand or build a new one.

  • Build onto it.

  • Build a new stand.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
8,121
Reaction score
6,797
Location
Houston, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I having a difficult time deciding what I want to do here. I previously setup a 75/G (48x18x21). I caught COVID and broke it down. Now I'm likely setting up a 120/G which is 48x24x24.

As you know it will be 6" deeper. I really like my current stand and I'm getting old and lazy. However...I may need to build a new one and I do enjoy it. I just don't want to unless I need too. I will never see the back/sides much as it will be up against the wall in a small space.

I could put a couple 4x4's back there or something similar to support the extra 6" that will be hanging off the back end. I remember Tidal Gardens used to have all his green house tanks sitting on concert blocks only on both ends. So maybe if I just support those back corners it will be good to go. Not sure. Let me know if you have any thoughts. Once you vote...You'll be able to see the results of other voters. No cheating!! :-)
2EECBE88-3A27-4161-99BA-479D16C2FAE0.jpeg
31B1FFBD-B50F-4C1E-BAD5-C023CB921D15.jpeg
682D1AB2-2881-4D70-BBEE-292D0C6D4EFD.jpeg






HERE'S THE ONLY PIC I HAVE OF THE BACK.


B3103106-88A6-457E-9FE4-F7AEA04B3D0D.jpeg
 
Last edited:
hi,i don't see any reason not to add to rear of stand,frame extention on ,add new flat top ,support and poss cut out old back for more room under tank ;) :)
 
Here's one of my favorite features of this stand and the last two I've built.

This stand below in the video is like 2-3 stands ago. :-)

 
I vote build onto it as long as you are able to match the finish or even care if it matches. It does look like a very nice cabinet.
PS hope you are feeling better!

Thx man! Thought COVID was gonna take me out, but God is faithful!

Now I just gotta buy back 8K of equipment:)

A lot of things to do, but I can already see my Acro’s growing. I learn form my mistakes on each system and the next is always better.
 
It’s always funnier to build new and make more room lol
 
@Flippers4pups I’m getting too old to be building these stands.

Don’t make me do another one. :)

COVID still has me sluggish. Lol

Man, i just came off quarantine for 14 days! Test came back negative!

I hear you on building right now. I've contemplated doing a fresh air line for my skimmer for weeks. Got to shake the cobwebs in my head.
 
Beautiful stand, if you really don't care what the back looks like then adding on will surely work but personally it's to nice to half butt it. if you have time you could just change out the sides and top to make up the extra inches. I guess some supports also depending how you braced it. Either way it's very nice work
 
Man, i just came off quarantine for 14 days! Test came back negative!

I hear you on building right now. I've contemplated doing a fresh air line for my skimmer for weeks. Got to shake the cobwebs in my head.

Negative is great! I tested positive for a month and a half. 7 days in ICU. I’m only 42.

Regarding the skimmer pulling outside air. Do it....it definitely gives you a nice little pH bump. Totally worth it!
 
Negative is great! I tested positive for a month and a half. 7 days in ICU. I’m only 42.

Regarding the skimmer pulling outside air. Do it....it definitely gives you a nice little pH bump. Totally worth it!

Man, Glad you pulled through it. It's definitely not a joke! I'll be 57 next month.

I'll drill a hole in the house tomorrow. Hopefully the wife won't freak out! Lol
 
Man, Glad you pulled through it. It's definitely not a joke! I'll be 57 next month.

I'll drill a hole in the house tomorrow. Hopefully the wife won't freak out! Lol
If you gotta drill through the brick. Buy, barrow, or rent a hammer drill. It will punch through it like butter!
 
If you gotta drill through the brick. Buy, barrow, or rent a hammer drill. It will punch through it like butter!

Na, it's vinyl siding where Im going. I do have a hammer drill that i use for brick/concrete.
 
I see absolutely no reason you can’t extend the back to accommodate the change.
It of course, must be strong, cover the entire area, and absolutely level to the existing stand, we don’t want to have the current stand or Additional piece move in any way. That may cause glass failure.
 
I see absolutely no reason you can’t extend the back to accommodate the change.
It of course, must be strong, cover the entire area, and absolutely level to the existing stand, we don’t want to have the current stand or Additional piece move in any way. That may cause glass failure.
Agreed! Anybody that uses wood often wanna weight in on what size timber would be good to use for this?

I could use 2x4’s or go beefier with 2x6’s or 4x4 posts. Not sure if I should put a piece of plywood on top or just leave it uncovered. The main support needs to be the two back corners I’m assuming.

Than over at Tidal Garden’s used concrete blocks to support a lot of the tanks.

Photo Credit: Than | TidalGardens
AA374903-9F5D-4D9B-ADAE-8E735A56304F.jpeg
77B0EC4F-2D0A-46FA-B52C-60069D2E3D1F.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top