Building a 1600 Gallon DEEP Bioshock aquarium!

Karlotious

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
86
Reaction score
159
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So I have started this thread on a couple of other sites but always enjoy hearing feedback, etc so figured I would start one here as well!

The tank is 7 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and 8 feet long.
The 3 acrylic panels are 2" thick with the 2 sides having the dimensions 5 x 4 and the front 5 x 3
It is a stacked build 2 x 4 with OSB on the inside and outside (yes im showing that it can be done)
Angle iron reinforcement was then utilized in all the window seatings for added support
The entire tank is fiberglassed with 9 gallons of polyester resin and chopped strand mat
MAX ACR epoxy (3 gallons) is the step I am currently on and will be completing this week. I am using both white and black tints to make sure I have full coverage.

Once the painting is complete I will then move onto the decorating and plumbing. To any Bioshock fans out there I'm still considering what the picture in the background will be. I want it to look like you are leaving the bathosphere and entering the underwater city. A 4" to 6" thick piece of foam will be cut and fitted to resemble the bulkhead doorway to the outside world. (A 6" gap will be between the foam and back wall as to add to the illusion.
basement.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_2988.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG
IMG_3501.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG
IMG_3548.JPG
IMG_3550.JPG
theater before fiber.jpg

exterior cover.jpg
exterior cover2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Was following on another forum! But haven't been there for a couple weeks!
 
This is awesome!! But how are you going to get inside? Are you cutting an access hole from upstairs??
 
Ill take a picture of it but i left a manhole size opening on the top for access. Im hoping my sump/refugium cuts down on the need to literally jump in the tank though haha The top of the aquarium features sliding 1/4" acrylic panels that can be locked in so that the octopus cant escape. The plan is to seal the Display tank not only for the octopus but to prevent evaporation and salt creep.
 
I have a friend who works at the aquarium here in Pittsburgh who was going to give me LPO eggs. (Large PAcific Octopus) If that falls through though ill probably just plan on a reef tank if i can afford powerful enough LED lighting that can penetrate 6 feet down!
 
Since i didnt mention it, The sump is located behind the smaller bookshelf to the right under the steps. I covered the space in thick plastic and plan on using a 150 gallon stock tank similar to this:
sump.jpg
 
I'm. It doubting your build ability but chopped mat isn't very strong and 1600 gallons will put a lot of pressure on it. Is the fiberglass a structural part of the tank?
 
The structural support is achieved through a mix of designs. The stacked 2 x 4's supported on both the inside and outside by OSb coupled with the entire structure being epoxied is the initial pressure support. I chose OSb due to its ability to absorb much more epoxy resin than plywood. I also placed angle iron vertically in all corners as well. Im not worried about it. :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top