Building first tank and have a few quesions/concerns

Tstead_504

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2015
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Location
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am new to the hobby however I have been researching for about 2 years and finanly in the true planning and beginning buying stages of the process.
1) I have decided on a Euro-Braced tank that is 60"x27"x27" which is roughly about 210 US gallons, I am going to a sump containing a refugium consitsing of 48 US gallons.
2) I am between using live sand or dry sand and would like to hear some input on that and why, also some concern with live rock vs dry rock as well.
3) With the size of this system I am thinking a reef octopus skimmer of suitable size for the system. I anyone has good or bad things to say about this brand or reccomends others please let me know. Also, not sure about which return pump to go with, there are just so many options out there.
4) I am planning to use 2 or 3 Radion XR30w's (possibly the 'PRO' series), all the research I have found says good things however after talking with a client of mine who told me he had problems with buring his coral and poor growth. Is this a rare case or something more common place?
5) Heaters, I heard many different opinions on who makes the best heater and what type of heater is best to use with a set up of this size. I am thinking off using 2 or 3 heaters in case one goes out.
6) Apex System--- your thoughts? worht the extra $$?
7) Will 2 MP40's be enough water movement for a tank this size or would 2 MP60's or possibly even 4 MP40's?? Looking for some thoughts on this.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts or concerns in regards to this build please make them known as I would like to kick this project off with minimal hiccups... If at all possible haha
 
1) Can you go larger on width? You would LOVE a 36" width! And lower height for easy maintenance! I'd go with 60x36x20 or 60x36x24!
2) Go with dry sand, it will turn "live" eventually! Also, I prefer dry rocks! No pests/unwanted creatures!!!
3) SRO skimmers are great! Go with the largest one you can fit in your sump!
4) Heard both good and bad with all LEDS. I personally love T5 as main lights and LED (reefbrites) as supplements! With a 60x36x24 tank (hopefully!) I'd put a 8x80W or even better, a 10x80W T5 fixture with two 60" reefbrite blue XHOs! Your SPS will love this fixture!
5) Use 2 or 3 heaters! I'm using Eheim Jäger and have two new heaters stored somewhere for backup!
6) Apex Neptune all the way!!! Best equipment I have next to my Milwaukee Digital Refractometer!
7) Go with 4 mp40QD!!! (Or better, x2 MP60 on each side and x2 MP40s on the back :D

A few things to consider, what kind of overflow are you going with? I personally like External, bean-animal style (Check out reef savvy ghost overflow!) What kind of sand? I have barebottom because it's so much easier to clean and easier nutrient transport! But if I'm going to put sand, I'd choose tropic Eden reef flakes.
Few tips:
Don't glue your plumbing until you have all the parts laid out!
Get a digital Refractometer!
Tests often (Salifert and Hanna for me!)
QT all fish! If possible, QT corals as well!
Dip ALL corals with Bayer!


I know I'm missing a lot more but HTH :)
 
A few things:
1) go with the largest sump!!
2) go with the largest skimmer!!
 
1) That's a big first tank! Hopefully you have considered the costs (I had to downsize from my 180gal due to costs for me)

2) I personally would use dry sand

4) I think you will need 3, 2 wont be enough light as you will have to raise them high in order to get enough coverage

5) Check out the finnex titanium. I have had good luck with them, but there are many good brands out there.

6) I would never have a modern system without some kind of controller. I personally like the apex better than the other controllers I have used, for many reasons. To me the controller makes things easier (automation), but also SAFER! And that safety alone makes it worth the value.

7) I would recommend 2 MP60's, or 3 or 4 MP40's....I think 2 MP40's would be a _bit_ on the low side....with that said you could always start with 2 and add more if you want.
 
Yup,, cost is very important! I have a 75G tank and I didn't really cut corners and spent 5k just to set it up! And I waited until Black Friday!
 
Hey everyone, I am new to the hobby however I have been researching for about 2 years and finanly in the true planning and beginning buying stages of the process.
1) I have decided on a Euro-Braced tank that is 60"x27"x27" which is roughly about 210 US gallons, I am going to a sump containing a refugium consitsing of 48 US gallons.
2) I am between using live sand or dry sand and would like to hear some input on that and why, also some concern with live rock vs dry rock as well.
3) With the size of this system I am thinking a reef octopus skimmer of suitable size for the system. I anyone has good or bad things to say about this brand or reccomends others please let me know. Also, not sure about which return pump to go with, there are just so many options out there.
4) I am planning to use 2 or 3 Radion XR30w's (possibly the 'PRO' series), all the research I have found says good things however after talking with a client of mine who told me he had problems with buring his coral and poor growth. Is this a rare case or something more common place?
5) Heaters, I heard many different opinions on who makes the best heater and what type of heater is best to use with a set up of this size. I am thinking off using 2 or 3 heaters in case one goes out.
6) Apex System--- your thoughts? worht the extra $$?
7) Will 2 MP40's be enough water movement for a tank this size or would 2 MP60's or possibly even 4 MP40's?? Looking for some thoughts on this.

Also, if anyone has any thoughts or concerns in regards to this build please make them known as I would like to kick this project off with minimal hiccups... If at all possible haha

Btw, 2 years of research will for sure pay off!
 
Thanks for the input Arnel0387, good information. Budget wise, I figure I'll be around the 10k mark... less would be better of course haha

Yes after looking at some measurements and calculations I would LOVE to have a 36" wide tank but dont have the room for it. I will definately get a quote on one the is 30" wide though. Which will hopefully be wide enogh for what I have invisioned.

And about your coment on the MP40/60's when you said 2 MP60's on each side and two MP40's on the back your talking about a total of 4 or 6(wording unclear)?

About the lighting.. you think that if I go all LED it would not be as successful? I really like the reliability and longevity of the LED vs other lighting types. however I will do what is best for the system, after all 'they' are the ones living there not me..
 
Also, if anyone has any input on dosing and reactors that information would be helpful too. I realize I wont need it up front but would still like to hear your thoughts on it.

And, UV tube anybody??? if so what size for this size set up?
 
W
Thanks for the input Arnel0387, good information. Budget wise, I figure I'll be around the 10k mark... less would be better of course haha

Yes after looking at some measurements and calculations I would LOVE to have a 36" wide tank but dont have the room for it. I will definately get a quote on one the is 30" wide though. Which will hopefully be wide enogh for what I have invisioned.

And about your coment on the MP40/60's when you said 2 MP60's on each side and two MP40's on the back your talking about a total of 4 or 6(wording unclear)?

About the lighting.. you think that if I go all LED it would not be as successful? I really like the reliability and longevity of the LED vs other lighting types. however I will do what is best for the system, after all 'they' are the ones living there not me..

Double that budget then you'll be good! Hehe
Sorry, I meant one mp60 on each side, and two mp40 on the back! I've seen and read all LED tanks with much success, just not my experience!

And I think you'd be happy with a 30" width! :D
 
Also, if anyone has any input on dosing and reactors that information would be helpful too. I realize I wont need it up front but would still like to hear your thoughts on it.

And, UV tube anybody??? if so what size for this size set up?

I've always done 2-part dosing, so that's what I'm going to recommend! My friends have calcium reactors and they are having great success as well! So you can go either way.

If you're looking for carbon and GFO reactors, look into Nextreef reactors!

As far as UV, you don't really need it but you should do more research about UV. It has it's pros and cons. I'm actually considering putting a 40w or 57w Aqua Sterilizer in my 100G total water volume system (cost $500 new and another $200 for a Eheim 1262 pump).
 
Last edited:
I've always done 2-part dosing, so that's what I'm going to recommend! My friends have calcium reactors and they are having great success as well! So you can go either way.

If you're looking for carbon and GFO reactors, look into Nextreef reactors!

As far as UV, you don't really need it but you should do more research about UV. It has it's pros and cons. I'm actually considering putting a 40w or 57w Aqua Sterilizer in my 100G total water volume system (cost $500 new and another $200 for a Eheim 1262 pump).

I was hoping you wouldnt joke about doubling my budget... hahah too late now though I suppose.

Thanks clearing that up about the thrusters. I thought that was what you meant just wanted to be sure. I will continue to look into UV sterolizers before i spend the extra $$ on one.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top