Bulbs 26" off waterline....250 or 400??

GrouperGenius

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
448
Reaction score
1
Location
Zephyrhills, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my new build, 18" depth, with the centerline of the SE bulbs being 26" off the waterline, do ya'll think 250W is enough. Or should I step up to 400W?? I'm DIY my own 18 x 18 lumens.

Mainly zoa/paly/softie/ with a mix of higher end SPS.
 
Is there no way that you can redesign them to be closer, that is way way too far, you will be wasting so much light...
 
If you have to be 26" off of the water. Then I would go 400w. What kind of reflectors are you using. You might be able to use lumenbrites and get away with 250's but I'm not sure.
 
Is there that much difference between SE and DE bulbs if you were using the same reflector? Just curious because I have only used DE bulbs.

different yes BUT NOT double like people used to say when the first came around the scene. for the most part there is not a big enough difference to talk about.

as for the OP go with 400. thats what i run and i'm about 15 off the surface
 
If you have to be 26" off of the water. Then I would go 400w. What kind of reflectors are you using. You might be able to use lumenbrites and get away with 250's but I'm not sure.

I made my own out of material from Sunlight Supply.

IMG_2877.jpg
 
Can I just ask why they'll be so far off the surface? I would think that would give me a headache looking at the tank with the halides shining in my face..
 
Can I just ask why they'll be so far off the surface? I would think that would give me a headache looking at the tank with the halides shining in my face..

I built all this with the idea/premise being more of a look down tank. I love seeing my corals top down. If the lights were any lower, I would be burning my hair all the time.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top