Bumps and occasionally spots on my tonight tang

Tmanz012

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2021
Messages
8
Reaction score
23
Location
Coon Rapids
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Tomini Tang from my LFS. After a week I noticed a large spot and then some smaller white spots would show up. I took it out and got it in a QT tank. Was going to start treating with copper power but I am unsure what's wrong with it. Apologies It's difficult to get a good pic of what is on it. Please help

PXL_20211111_015627171.jpg PXL_20211111_022707507.jpg
 
Is this a troll? Is that fish alive?
 
Try to get a closer picture of the suspect spots on the skin itll give the experts a better chance at telling you whats up.
 
Ahhhhhh these are better thanks for response.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20211111_032352446.jpg
    PXL_20211111_032352446.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20211111_032341519.jpg
    PXL_20211111_032341519.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 58
Is this a troll? Is that fish alive?
I have the tank in my office and a camera on it. I see it actively swimming around and nibbing at the nori. But when I go in there it hides
 
It’s probably ich
I got copper power and a copper test kit today, I figured I'd ask on here to be sure before I started testing. When I talked to the guy at the LFS he said it might be lymps or ick
I have the tank in my office and a camera on it. I see it actively swimming around and nibbing at the nori. But when I go in there it hides
And doesn't move much
 
This has to be a troll. You killed that fish. I'm new here am I falling for bait?
 
This has to be a troll. You killed that fish. I'm new here am I falling for bait?
This has to be a troll. You killed that fish. I'm new here am I falling for bait?
Nope, I just checked the cam and it was swimming up down and then into the tube and back out
 
Nope, I just checked the cam and it was swimming up down and then into the tube and back out
Sorry. Your pictures made it seem so bad. My apologies.
 
Sorry. Your pictures made it seem so bad. My apologies.

Not sorry. That's a dying fish. Good grief you have it in a betta tank?
 
I don't see any white spots other than some scrapes and some head and lateral line issues. I wouldn't treat for ich, etc right now.

Doesn't look good, though. Is the fish eating?
 
I got a Tomini Tang from my LFS. After a week I noticed a large spot and then some smaller white spots would show up. I took it out and got it in a QT tank. Was going to start treating with copper power but I am unsure what's wrong with it. Apologies It's difficult to get a good pic of what is on it. Please help

PXL_20211111_015627171.jpg PXL_20211111_022707507.jpg

Hi! Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm sorry, I was asleep when you posted and am just seeing this now.

The white spots that are in a line is something called head and Lateral Line Erosion. Not very common on this species of tang, but it does happen. It won't be fatal, but it is disfiguring.

The larger, diffuse white spot could be a simple bruise, or it could be the start of a bacterial infection. It just bears watching for now.

The fish seems uncomfortable in the tank - don't get too close, it will only scare it further. One trick is to dim the room lights so the fish cannot see you as easily.

Monitor your ammonia levels, be sure that is below 0.25 ppm

If the fish is eating and seems stable, you should start a copper treatment to prevent the common protozoan diseases.

Jay Hemdal
 
Ahhhhhh these are better thanks for response.
It might do better if it had some hiding spots (such as PVC joints) to help de-stress. Also lower lighting is best for fish with difficulties in QT.

I see that @Jay Hemdal has already addressed the issues with his expert opinion including the few details I noticed, so I have nothing significant to add about the health issues.

Sorry. Your pictures made it seem so bad. My apologies.

Not sorry. That's a dying fish. Good grief you have it in a betta tank?
No, definitely not an apparent troll. Health issues are taken pretty seriously and such accusations are not helpful. A "betta tank" can be acceptable for a QT if the fish is small, and the fish does not look all that bad to me. It has some need for improvement to be healthy, but it does not look like it is dying yet.

Maybe if you are new here, you might consider being careful not to react too quickly to posts, especially ones on health concerns.
Just my bit of advice...
 
Ahhhhhh these are better thanks for response.
I see Jay already diagnosed it with HLLE disease.

I had a tomini tang that had this as well by the time I got it out of quarantine. Mine had the spots on its face rather than along the lateral line. Good diet and maintaining water parameters actually cleared mine up completely and she no longer has the markings. Good luck!
 
Sorry. Your pictures made it seem so bad. My apologies.

Not sorry. That's a dying fish. Good grief you have it in a betta tank?
It was in my display tank but then was loo
Hi! Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm sorry, I was asleep when you posted and am just seeing this now.

The white spots that are in a line is something called head and Lateral Line Erosion. Not very common on this species of tang, but it does happen. It won't be fatal, but it is disfiguring.

The larger, diffuse white spot could be a simple bruise, or it could be the start of a bacterial infection. It just bears watching for now.

The fish seems uncomfortable in the tank - don't get too close, it will only scare it further. One trick is to dim the room lights so the fish cannot see you as easily.

Monitor your ammonia levels, be sure that is below 0.25 ppm

If the fish is eating and seems stable, you should start a copper treatment to prevent the common protozoan diseases.

Jay Hemdal
Thank you so much for the advice!! :D I'll try getting stuff going for copper
 
It was in my display tank but then was loo

Thank you so much for the advice!! :D I'll try getting stuff going for copper
My heartfelt and sincere apologies to you Tmanz012, for my jerk posts. I saw your photos wrong and was a perfect butt. I hope the best for your tang! Best to you as well. I hope you can forgive a newbie to the hobby and someone unused to friendly forums.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top