Butterfly Effect of Lanthanum Chloride

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Joined
Apr 11, 2014
Messages
4,929
Reaction score
2,814
Location
East Hampton, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, assuming I have done my research on LC as far as dosing regimen and effective removal of it from the water column... What is a possible result on other chemistry in the tank if I were to put it on an auto doser set to the proper amount each day to just keep po4 in check? Not necessarily an amount to drop the po4 level, but just a maintenance dose more or less.
 
It can reduce alk if it precipitates lanthanum carbonate.

It can, in at least some reported cases, cause health issues in tangs.

It will get into calcium carbonate skeletons in place of calcium (to some extent). That effect may have no consequences.
 
It can reduce alk if it precipitates lanthanum carbonate.

It can, in at least some reported cases, cause health issues in tangs.

It will get into calcium carbonate skeletons in place of calcium (to some extent). That effect may have no consequences.
Awesome, thanks... What would cause the first scenario? I assume that would happen if there was not enough po4 to the La to bind to initially?

Not worried about the 2nd and 3rd scenario.
 
Awesome, thanks... What would cause the first scenario? I assume that would happen if there was not enough po4 to the La to bind to initially?

Not worried about the 2nd and 3rd scenario.

Yes, or maybe too much added too fast. It likely always happens to some extent.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top