Calling all carpenters! I have questions for you.

Woodneers

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2018
Messages
554
Reaction score
472
Location
Dodge city KS
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we have any resident carpenters/home builders or structural engineers in the house? I’m enlarging a room in my basement and need a little guidance. I’m at the beginning stages of a large in wall aquarium with fish room. Basically I’m moving a load bearing wall and need help deciding how to span the 8’ tank opening all while supporting the floor of the main level up above it. I’m moving the wall in the photo forward towards the carpeted area.

5D44929D-B540-4981-8E74-23CF9FA45A64.jpeg
 
Do we have any resident carpenters/home builders or structural engineers in the house? I’m enlarging a room in my basement and need a little guidance. I’m at the beginning stages of a large in wall aquarium with fish room. Basically I’m moving a load bearing wall and need help deciding how to span the 8’ tank opening all while supporting the floor of the main level up above it. I’m moving the wall in the photo forward towards the carpeted area.

5D44929D-B540-4981-8E74-23CF9FA45A64.jpeg
The blue tape on the floor is a basic layout and location of the future tank. Shooting for around an 8’ long tank! Of course there will be a build thread to follow!
 
So, first question, you're 100% certain this is a load bearing wall?
 
Post a pic of whats on top of the wall. Is that where the joists join up?
You can put a beam in and size it according to span.
if you want flush mount and cut it into the joists with joist hangers or you can do a bottom mount. Either way at the end of the beam your going to need the equivalent 2x4 number. So if you have 3 2x10 you need 3 2x4 at the end of
Each side of the beam.
 
I’m thinking it’s definitely load bearing as this basement is24’ span with no walls other than the stud wall in the photo. Basically the wall is 10 feet off of the foundation/concrete wall. That leaves 14’ open to the other foundation wall. I’m gonna swap it around so the new wall is 10’ off the other foundation wall. Man I hope that makes sense!
 

Attachments

  • 337F3EC3-4713-4146-A04E-0FBCD6B65054.jpeg
    337F3EC3-4713-4146-A04E-0FBCD6B65054.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 68
What you ask is very difficult , even for a lot of contractors. It involves digging a hole and putting in a concrete footing, Mounting a concrete filled steel tube to it and having an engineer determine the proper size header or steel beam to mount on top. Go to plan B
 
I’m thinking it’s definitely load bearing as this basement is24’ span with no walls other than the stud wall in the photo. Basically the wall is 10 feet off of the foundation/concrete wall. That leaves 14’ open to the other foundation wall. I’m gonna swap it around so the new wall is 10’ off the other foundation wall. Man I hope that makes sense!

It "Might" be, but I sincerely doubt it given it's a 2×4 wall and doesn't run the entire length of the basement in the same spot. Is it below a wall or something else above it?
 
Can you read the label on those I-joists? You’ll need to consult a span table. Is there any second floor supported or roof truss situation? This is not a simple change. The previous post regarding having footings put in is something to pay attention to as well.

Edit: you can measure the joists as well, height, width and webbing thickness. It will determine the class of joist.
 
What’s plan B?
It "Might" be, but I sincerely doubt it given it's a 2×4 wall and doesn't run the entire length of the basement in the same spot. Is it below a wall or something else above it?
above this is my living room.
 
Can you read the label on those I-joists? You’ll need to consult a span table. Is there any second floor supported or roof truss situation? This is not a simple change. The previous post regarding having footings put in is something to pay attention to as well.

Edit: you can measure the joists as well, height, width and webbing thickness. It will determine the class of joist.
They are 12” joists spanning 25.3’. On 19.2” centers.
 

Attachments

  • DD48CC15-738D-40A5-894C-CBD0555197FE.jpeg
    DD48CC15-738D-40A5-894C-CBD0555197FE.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 56
  • B63E010D-1A98-4D61-80D5-49C12528F236.jpeg
    B63E010D-1A98-4D61-80D5-49C12528F236.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 50
Do we have any resident carpenters/home builders or structural engineers in the house? I’m enlarging a room in my basement and need a little guidance. I’m at the beginning stages of a large in wall aquarium with fish room. Basically I’m moving a load bearing wall and need help deciding how to span the 8’ tank opening all while supporting the floor of the main level up above it. I’m moving the wall in the photo forward towards the carpeted area.

5D44929D-B540-4981-8E74-23CF9FA45A64.jpeg
I don't see any posting on this wall with the door on it to suggest it is load bearing could you post a pic of the top plate of that wall plz. from what I seen you are good to rip it down and make a new one. been framing for 30+ years. the only spot i see is that header over the door is it holding a beam of any sort. almost every floor system is designed for unfinished basements unless there is a dropped beam supported by a telepost your joists are designed for span
 
The stud wall in the photo is supporting it now all I want to do is move it a few feet and make an 8’ opening to squeeze a tank in. Did I mention my wife agreed to a built in tank with a full fish room! I had drywall down in 2 hours before she could change her mind!
 
I don't see any posting on this wall with the door on it to suggest it is load bearing could you post a pic of the top plate of that wall plz. from what I seen you are good to rip it down and make a new one. been framing for 30+ years. the only spot i see is that header over the door is it holding a beam of any sort
Does this help?

6043234C-4B31-48D8-B88F-D7AD5E60D790.jpeg 22CCE582-A6D4-4BCC-8199-063461E21E41.jpeg
 
The joist above the door isn’t even on the stud, it’s just floating there!
 

Attachments

  • 4B837464-8538-4BB0-B069-9DEFEB483393.jpeg
    4B837464-8538-4BB0-B069-9DEFEB483393.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 41

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top