Can’t get my Alakalinity right

  • Thread starter Thread starter aquakj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

aquakj

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 13, 2021
Messages
281
Reaction score
232
Location
91342
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I’ve been in a constant back and forth with my alakalinity , it has remained constant at 7 , I’m using IO reef crystals and dosing Red Sea alkalinity currently was at 15ml per day on 90 gallons which bumped it up to a dig of 10 however that killed my torches and my birds nest (mixed reef, LPS, but mainly softies )so I recently stopped dosing for a couple days as I didn’t notice my doser was out of liquid then I did a 10% water change which dropped my alkalinity to 6 , which I was not trying to do! I’m trying to just get my alkalinity between 8-9 and keep it thier consistently as consistency is key, so I was thinking about switching salts a lot of LFS have recommended me to switch to Red Sea coral pro but I’m open to using the best salt out there so if you have any recommendations let me know , also was considering tropic marine salt , or if you think I should keep what I have and just bring up the alkalinity by dosing any advice is welcomed ! Thanks
 
Hey guys so I’ve been in a constant back and forth with my alakalinity , it has remained constant at 7 , I’m using IO reef crystals and dosing Red Sea alkalinity currently was at 15ml per day on 90 gallons which bumped it up to a dig of 10 however that killed my torches and my birds nest (mixed reef, LPS, but mainly softies )so I recently stopped dosing for a couple days as I didn’t notice my doser was out of liquid then I did a 10% water change which dropped my alkalinity to 6 , which I was not trying to do! I’m trying to just get my alkalinity between 8-9 and keep it thier consistently as consistency is key, so I was thinking about switching salts a lot of LFS have recommended me to switch to Red Sea coral pro but I’m open to using the best salt out there so if you have any recommendations let me know , also was considering tropic marine salt , or if you think I should keep what I have and just bring up the alkalinity by dosing any advice is welcomed ! Thanks
Instant Ocean has relatively high alk among the salt brands... How often are you doing water changes, and what percentage?
 
Why switch?
Your first sentence was it is constant at 7.
IO is a fine salt.

Do you have your calcium and magnisium test numbers?
A low magnisium may mess with alk stability.
Every time I test my LFS is telling me to bring my alk up to at least 8 or 9, I don’t have the numbers in mind but I can post my recent test once I get home from work
 
Every time I test my LFS is telling me to bring my alk up to at least 8 or 9, I don’t have the numbers in mind but I can post my recent test once I get home from work
Stop listening to your LFS.
 
Every time I test my LFS is telling me to bring my alk up to at least 8 or 9, I don’t have the numbers in mind but I can post my recent test once I get home from work
7 is not a bad number. Lots of people run there.
I run at 8.
 
7727B79E-6655-4C9E-B383-CE706F0A9946.jpeg
 
I have the Hannah Ca, Mg and Alk but I’m not sure if they test accurate, any recommendations ?
If you're asking for suggestions to replace the Hannas, I am a fan of the Salifert tests for most things.

If you're asking how to calibrate the Hannas, I'll defer to those that actually use them ;)

My point was, assuming you're using the LFS to test your water, you will be better off testing yourself.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top