Can a protein skimmer get too much air??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kershaw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Here a shot of what it is producing

image.jpeg
 
Stuff some silicone air tubing in the muffler to decrease the air. Then you can and an airline control and really dual it it. Or you could fill your muffler with filter floss.
 
Stuff some silicone air tubing in the muffler to decrease the air. Then you can and an airline control and really dual it it. Or you could fill your muffler with filter floss.
I'll let it sit and see how it skims for a day. If it's not working right I'll try that. Thanks.
 
Totally looks like you just needed to tweak the depth of the skimmer and water level.

Don't know if I missed it but what size tank is this running on and how much do you feed ?
 
125. I feed about 1 cube a day if lrs or rods. And randomly feed flake


If you feed more I guarantee it will skim more. :cool:

I would consider that a pretty light bioload. Some go by fish count or system volume. I go by how much you put into your system mainly, then system volume, and if you're exporting in any other ways. ATS, GAC, large water changes, etc.

Adding foods, supplements, carbon dosing, etc adds to the TOC/DOC that you're exporting. Skimmers aren't the best mechanical filtration but I feel are very beneficial for multiple reasons. Some people do not.

Long story short I was feeding more then that when I had my 55g. [emoji14]

That skimmer and pump would be equivalent to the seaside aquatics es5 I was running on my 180. It also ran the psk 1000. Awesome pump and matched up well to the ssa es5. Should be great on that classic body too.

But it needs to be fed. ;)
 
If you feed more I guarantee it will skim more. :cool:

I would consider that a pretty light bioload. Some go by fish count or system volume. I go by how much you put into your system mainly, then system volume, and if you're exporting in any other ways. ATS, GAC, large water changes, etc.

Adding foods, supplements, carbon dosing, etc adds to the TOC/DOC that you're exporting. Skimmers aren't the best mechanical filtration but I feel are very beneficial for multiple reasons. Some people do not.

Long story short I was feeding more then that when I had my 55g. [emoji14]

That skimmer and pump would be equivalent to the seaside aquatics es5 I was running on my 180. It also ran the psk 1000. Awesome pump and matched up well to the ssa es5. Should be great on that classic body too.

But it needs to be fed. ;)

Maybe I will start feeding more. My nitrates are always undetectable. But I assumed I just can't see color on no3 test kits because I am color blind. I do run phosguard for po4. I have a very slow growing hair algae slowing growing on my rocks. So I assume my skimmer ain't pulling enough out. I never had algae issues till my old pump on skimmer started acting up
 
And of course I have the only tang that don't eat algae lol. Won't eat nori or any sheets I buy at lfs. Only eats frozen and flake. Time to get a fox face
 
Maybe I will start feeding more. My nitrates are always undetectable. But I assumed I just can't see color on no3 test kits because I am color blind. I do run phosguard for po4. I have a very slow growing hair algae slowing growing on my rocks. So I assume my skimmer ain't pulling enough out. I never had algae issues till my old pump on skimmer started acting up

How old is your system? I do like foxfaces and rabit fish.

Try LRS premium algae sheets. Its the only algae sheet that every single fish in my tank loves. Personally I have always stayed away from flakes.

A skimmer will not directly pull out nitrates and phosphates. It will pull out organics that have consumed those nutrients or pull them out before breaking down into those nutrients.
 
How old is your system? I do like foxfaces and rabit fish.

Try LRS premium algae sheets. Its the only algae sheet that every single fish in my tank loves. Personally I have always stayed away from flakes.

A skimmer will not directly pull out nitrates and phosphates. It will pull out organics that have consumed those nutrients or pull them out before breaking down into those nutrients.
It is about a year and 5 months. Tank was doing great. The. Skimmer started acting up. Pump would get stuck, not produce much. Then my acros browned out. My milipora is nice and hairy still but my bonsai acro and crayola acro died. Milipora still has ok color. All my montis and birds nest are great. Then algae started to grow. It's not out of control but it is there.
Peramiters
77 temp
Salinity is 1.025
Mag is 1400
Cal is 420 to 500 hard to tell exactly when color changed but it's at least 420
Kh 8 Hannah checker
Phosphate was .08 last checked on Hannah checker
Nitrate unknown due to my crappy color vision. It always looks zero to me unless it hits the 25 mark. I asked wife she said it looks .5 to 1.0 but she can't really see the elos test kits eaither

Have not added anything in over 5 months. Nothing has changed other then skimmer issues about 2 months ago. I change carbon and gfo every two weeks with 30 gal water change.
 
So skimmer starts to produce foam then randomly looses its thick foam and drops lower in skimmer. Seems to be acting weird. I think I am going to have to suck it up and buy a ice cap k2 160 or something in that price range.
 
No the back has two 4 inch slots that run that are as tall as the stand. I also have an air line that goes under the house next to an outside vent for skimmer. That is not hooked up right now
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top