Can a used marineland 300 dd be trusted?

Bustyraker

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Messages
530
Reaction score
131
Location
Hagerstown MD
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my system a year ago because of the job I was working and never had time to care for it or enjoy it. I gave a new job now closer to home and would like to setup a new system in the near future. This time I want to go big. I've had 2 rimless tanks and they always made me nervous because I run a ton of flow. I was looking at a 300 gallon eurobraced tank, however my friend has a 300 dd that he would sell me cheap. He had it set up for years with no issues but has been setting empty for about 4 years now. I know these are prone to leaking and the age of the tank makes me nervous. Would it be worth buying the tank and having it eurobraced for extra support or just spend the extra money for a new tank.
 
I sold my system a year ago because of the job I was working and never had time to care for it or enjoy it. I gave a new job now closer to home and would like to setup a new system in the near future. This time I want to go big. I've had 2 rimless tanks and they always made me nervous because I run a ton of flow. I was looking at a 300 gallon eurobraced tank, however my friend has a 300 dd that he would sell me cheap. He had it set up for years with no issues but has been setting empty for about 4 years now. I know these are prone to leaking and the age of the tank makes me nervous. Would it be worth buying the tank and having it eurobraced for extra support or just spend the extra money for a new tank.

How much are you looking to spend on the 300DD? How much were you quoted for a custom build? If the difference was nominal I would go custom.

Some experience with their tanks over the last few years:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marineland-200dd-failure-take-2.253633/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/marineland-300-gallon-dd.381197/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-reliable-is-the-marineland-deep-dimension-150.367715/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/anyone-have-a-marineland-300-dd-tank.336472/
 
It would most likely be free or if anything $500 or less. Custom build is around $4000 for just the glass.
 
It would most likely be free or if anything $500 or less. Custom build is around $4000 for just the glass.

$4,000 for just the tank seems a little steep for a 300 gallon. Not saying it couldn't if you got the sump, stand and canopy all custom made and included in that price, but for just the tank, low iron glass and euro bracing your most likely looking around $3,000 with overflow holes drilled.

Wouldn't hurt to shop around a little on a couple custom manufactures either, see who has the best pricing to offer and a good reputation.

I mean a 300 DD tank for free would be hard to pass up, but then I am assuming its second hand and not new?
 
Custom build is around $4000 for just the glass.
Where are you getting this price?
  • Glass cages sells similar to the 300 DD (76x32x27) as a "280 wide" with the dimensions of 72x36x25 for $1600. (Starfire front panel 138$ more).
  • CustomAquariums quotes a 318 gallon aquarium (72x36x30) for $2614. (Starfire front panel 165$ more).

I know these builders aren't Reef Savvy/Miracles/C2C/AGE, but we're comparing custom to a Marineland so I think budget options are obviously on the table.
 
Having had several club members Marineland tanks blow out I would have one for any price. The cost of such a big tank one has to consider all the other equipment in that goes with it. One can pay any price you want. It depends on what you want in a tank. Custom tanks are going to give you the pop that a factory made tank could never give you.
 
That’s a tough one. I’ve had a few large marineland tanks without incident, but I’m also not a fan of used tanks. If you do decide on the used 300, eutobrace it on the bottom as well.
 
Hi,
i should have posted here before i purchased my new tank, but i did not. I was reading online with people having issues with marineland tanks leaking. the tank that i ordered is a 150 gallon 72"lx18"wx27"h with 2 overflow boxes in the corner. I was just wondering what you guys have to say about this tank or if anyone had any issues with marineland tanks before. my impression is that marineland tanks is probably the most common tank in america and they sell 1000s of tank and you will have more complaints the more tanks you sell. My tank is getting delivered tom with there stand. im a little nervous.
P.S. please also tell me if you had good experience with there tanks also.
 
I upgraded from a used, scratched miracles 240 to a marineland 300dd sometime in 2016. Developed a leak in right front corner, in October 2018. Lost about 100g water on basement floor, but had rubbermaid bins available so only losses sustained were due to changeover, resettling, water parks, etc, so lost a few nice sps colonies. Got a replacement under warranty in short order. Now 5 months removed and discovered the new whole tank emptied during to rear seam blowing out. This time lost absolutely everything, fish and colonies I have had 15 years. One pink pocci I grew from a frag to 2 feet by one feet and must weigh 40 lbs. All dead. In looking at the tank, you pull the trim back and see bubbles all over in the silicone. Totally disheartening.
 
I upgraded from a used, scratched miracles 240 to a marineland 300dd sometime in 2016. Developed a leak in right front corner, in October 2018. Lost about 100g water on basement floor, but had rubbermaid bins available so only losses sustained were due to changeover, resettling, water parks, etc, so lost a few nice sps colonies. Got a replacement under warranty in short order. Now 5 months removed and discovered the new whole tank emptied during to rear seam blowing out. This time lost absolutely everything, fish and colonies I have had 15 years. One pink pocci I grew from a frag to 2 feet by one feet and must weigh 40 lbs. All dead. In looking at the tank, you pull the trim back and see bubbles all over in the silicone. Totally disheartening.
That’s so sad :( sorry for your blowout
 
I having several club members having their tanks blow out I would never get one.
 
I would take any of them I could get at a discount or free and reseal them. The 93 cube I have had the issues above and I redid it.

If you have no experience rebuilding tanks then I would not buy a DD at all.

I wish I could find a 300DD someone was getting rid of. I would drive a considerable distance to pick it up.
 
I would say if the tank is really cheap and the glass is in good shape few or no scratches then you could buy it and do a complete reseal of the tank. A full tank breakdown, cleaning of all glass sealing surfaces, and reassembly is the best way to go on a tank that size.
 
I would say if the tank is really cheap and the glass is in good shape few or no scratches then you could buy it and do a complete reseal of the tank. A full tank breakdown, cleaning of all glass sealing surfaces, and reassembly is the best way to go on a tank that size.

Agreed. And it's not really hard. Just time consuming and you better have help with panels that size. They are heavy.
 
If I was being honest and someone asked me if I would trust new or used 300 DD or any of the other DD line of tanks my answer would be no.

I know there are failures with other tanks. I know we do not know how many are in use vs those having blown seams vs those reported vs those not reported, etc. I get the picture. However, on the forums I read when I see a blown seam thread 9 out of 10 times it is a DD tank. It isn't miracles or some other custom builder. Could be a bad year or two that they had and no issues since but sometimes once the word is out it makes buyers gun shy. I know I was looking to buy a 300 DD for a long time but after reading a few failures and the troubles they had with warranty or insurance vs. water damage I said forget it and went elsewhere.

I like the idea of the reseal - sounds like a good insurance policy if heading down this road. In fact, probably a great idea although it isn't something I could do so that puts me back at the pass on the tank due to my lack of skill or trusting myself of doing that. 300 gallons is a lot of water :D
 
Agreed. And it's not really hard. Just time consuming and you better have help with panels that size. They are heavy.

After seeing the Custom Aquariums method of tank assembly I would try to utilize their method where the tank is assembled with spacers and tape/clamps first and then the silicone/RTV is applied. Pre-assembly would make the heavy lifting part of the job easier as you would not be on the clock with trying to assemble and align glass panels with silicone/RTV already applied to a surface before its skins. I would also invest in a powered calking gun. The $40 Ryobi battery calking gun was the best investment I ever made as it took all the difficulty out of applying RTV 108 when I was installing the glass panels on my tanks.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top