Can an anemone eat a clown?

I have a Large Condi, and a large maroon 3 stripe clown. it took a while but the anemone started hosting the clown. The clown did go through a period of being swollen, and lethargic , like an allergic reaction, but now they get along great, the clown fish recently started bringing the anemone food scraps. In hind sight Condylactis is a poor choice for a reef aquarium, it is aggressive and tend to move around, requiring that other corals be moved on occasion. considering a Condylactis anemone and a clown fish are from different regions, it is possible that the anemone ate or killed your clown. watch for an algae bloom, or check your ORP if you monitor it. hopefully he is just acclimating to the stings and will reappear.

condi.jpg
 
I have a Large Condi, and a large maroon 3 stripe clown. it took a while but the anemone started hosting the clown. The clown did go through a period of being swollen, and lethargic , like an allergic reaction, but now they get along great, the clown fish recently started bringing the anemone food scraps. In hind sight Condylactis is a poor choice for a reef aquarium, it is aggressive and tend to move around, requiring that other corals be moved on occasion. considering a Condylactis anemone and a clown fish are from different regions, it is possible that the anemone ate or killed your clown. watch for an algae bloom, or check your ORP if you monitor it. hopefully he is just acclimating to the stings and will reappear.

condi.jpg
They litterally found the clown inside the nem
 
Oh wow. Sorry for your loss.

I had a purple Condy and got rid of it because whenever my clown try to approach it, seemed like they're getting stung or something. To an untrained eye (newbie) like me, it looked like it was too aggressive for me to have in my tank that's why I decided to remove it, I don't want to take the chances of my fish getting hurt, or worse, eaten like in your case.
 
Did you get a flashlight out and look down your overflow? Especially at the bottom of it? I had a saddleback go missing and that's where I found him.. Super hard "fishing" him out... Hand didn't fit well in there with the pipes.. I managed to break the bulkhead too...
Anyways, just an idea...


I found her inside my condy anemone, it had eaten her :(
 
I have a Large Condi, and a large maroon 3 stripe clown. it took a while but the anemone started hosting the clown. The clown did go through a period of being swollen, and lethargic , like an allergic reaction, but now they get along great, the clown fish recently started bringing the anemone food scraps. In hind sight Condylactis is a poor choice for a reef aquarium, it is aggressive and tend to move around, requiring that other corals be moved on occasion. considering a Condylactis anemone and a clown fish are from different regions, it is possible that the anemone ate or killed your clown. watch for an algae bloom, or check your ORP if you monitor it. hopefully he is just acclimating to the stings and will reappear.

condi.jpg


Sadly for me she didn't get the chance and was found inside the nem, eaten :(
 
I have a Large Condi, and a large maroon 3 stripe clown. it took a while but the anemone started hosting the clown. The clown did go through a period of being swollen, and lethargic , like an allergic reaction, but now they get along great, the clown fish recently started bringing the anemone food scraps. In hind sight Condylactis is a poor choice for a reef aquarium, it is aggressive and tend to move around, requiring that other corals be moved on occasion. considering a Condylactis anemone and a clown fish are from different regions, it is possible that the anemone ate or killed your clown. watch for an algae bloom, or check your ORP if you monitor it. hopefully he is just acclimating to the stings and will reappear.

condi.jpg
They litterally found the clown inside the nem
That is sad, again Condi
Sadly for me she didn't get the chance and was found inside the nem, eaten :(
Sorry to hear that.
 
There is actual picture of a clown hosting a condy...but i think only one documented case of it....so random


My condy hosts my female cinamon clown just fine for the past month since I got it.
Vid taken right after a wc so it was a little closed up, usually double that size.
 
I have seen a condi eating two clowns in a LFS that used to be up here. It can definitely happen. Sorry it happened to you. It always sucks to lose a fish.
 
I had 5 clowns and now only 2 left..Main suspect has to be Anenome. Question is,how long do these 2 have left?
 

Attachments

  • 20240419_141100.jpg
    20240419_141100.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 24

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top