Can anyone help I.D.ing this Pistol Shrimp?

InvertsBestVerts

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2020
Messages
57
Reaction score
24
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this beautiful pistol shrimp over the weekend, but I'm not 100% sure what type it is. It's in a 10g with some snails, a scooter blenny, and a firefish and so far everyone is getting along okay (some snapping at intrusive tankmates, but no deaths). I'll attach a picture below, I thought it's a Carribean type, but I was under the impression they wouldn't burrow much and are pretty agressive, which doesn't seem to be the case with this one. Mainly I'm just unsure if I can add a goby eventually, or if he'll just snap at one for trying to get in the burrow.

20200213_203338.jpg
 

Hey thanks for the bump!

I should have updated this thread a while ago, but after some searching I learned that this is a Japanese Snapping Shrimp. Folks are torn online on if these guys pair with anything, but most people say they're solitary. I haven't tried a goby, but the pistol shrimp has yet to kill anything and has actually let my firefish into its burrow. They're not technically paired up, but it's super cool either way.
 
My pistol & watchman goby also let 2 firefish live in the cave. Thought that was super cool.. unfortunately my firefish both jumped out of the tank even with 1/4” mesh top
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top