Can anyone tell me what this is?!

Papadovak

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2014
Messages
167
Reaction score
2
Location
Okc OK
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank finally finished it's cycle and now that the lights are on I noticed this hair like stuff on some of my rock. I looked up hair algae but everything I saw was green...... Can it be Grey as well?
20140317_190231.jpg
any help would appreciated.
 
just looks like algae in general(there are tons of species) your clean up crew should take care of that. Hair algae and bryopsis are the ones that the clean up crew tend to leave behind but I dont think you have either. Try adding a few more turbos and hermits and maybe an algae blenny.
 
I guess i should have told you guys in the first place lol
Freshly cycled 55g with 20g sump
30 lbs of LR
Salinty- 1.024
Nh4-0.0
No2-0.0
No3-15
ph-8.4
Tested with API liquid color test kits
 
just looks like algae in general(there are tons of species) your clean up crew should take care of that. Hair algae and bryopsis are the ones that the clean up crew tend to leave behind but I dont think you have either. Try adding a few more turbos and hermits and maybe an algae blenny.
I have 2 turbos, and 10 hermits. How many of each would be adequate?
 
It doesnt look bad..as long as its not green or red in color I wouldnt worry...imo u need to triple ur cleanup crew..u can never have enough....try for the poi ty coned snails..w/e they are called..they last the longest
 
It just looks like this benign mixture of detritus and some harmless algae growth. Common in newer set ups.. It should recede once coralline algae and film algaes start to take over.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top