Can anyone tell me what this is?

boeingn747

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2021
Messages
486
Reaction score
403
Location
South St.paul
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fragged a zoa coral that I had today and I placed it in a holding dish while I was preparing. After I was done I noticed a couple of critters moving around in the dish. I am sure they are nothing to worry about, however, I wanted to make sure. These are the best photos I could get. Any positive ID?

20210331_155918.jpg 20210331_155900.jpg 20210331_154856.jpg
 
Does it look like this up close? Just the shape they come in alot of colours.
 

Attachments

  • zoanudi.jpg
    zoanudi.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 39
Hard to make out but look up mysid shrimp and see if that matches
I looked up the mysis shrimp and it did not match. I am sure it's a pod of some kind. I would just like to know which one.
 
I believe baby pistol shrimp
 
I just got home and got a better look at this on a larger screen. I believe this is an anemone shrimp and sneaky hitchhiker
 
Are they bad?
Very good but not easy to care for but can be accomplished. The anemone Shrimp is a commensal shrimp commonly found living on sea anemones, and hard corals such as Euphyllia sp. Their near transparency allows anemone Shrimp to virtually disappear within their surroundings, making them a hidden treasure to find in reef aquariums. They are well-suited for smaller nano-style reef aquariums. In their natural habitat, anemone Shrimp also avoid predators by forming symbiotic relationships with stinging anemones, acclimating within their host's tendrils by chemically camouflaging themselves.
They must have plenty of hiding nooks and caves within rock, and avoid stoking with carnivorous fish that may make the Shrimp a tempting meal. Like other inverts, the anemone Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and changing water parameters. Proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed freeze-dried, frozen, and flake foods that are small.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top