I'm using the Torq for biopellets, and had the same issue. But I took out the sponge, and am just careful to not let the pellets tumble too close to the top. I haven't had an issue after that. It would have to be one magic pellet to make it's way out through the top. Even if one did, it would just fall to the bottom of the sump and eventually just get eaten up by bacteria there.
An added benefit is I can dose MB7 directly into the biopellets without having to go through the sponge. I just turn off the reactor, add the MB7 right through the top, then turn it back on a few minutes later. I added MB7 today for the first time in about a week. Will make that a weekly task.
On my progress with GFO and biopellets, like you, I am seeing a consistent drop in nitrates. Slow after the initial big drops, but still going down consistently.
Mixed feelings about GFO, since it works well, but a mess in changing it out. The initial 2 cups depleted yesterday after 5 days, and I waited until today for confirmation, and phosphates continued their ascent. So I switched out the GFO with 1.5 cups today.
I use the Torq for GFO as well, and some got stuck in the grating on the bottom, and took awhile to clean it out. Then the rinsing of the Torq and sponge and GFO, some fines in the sump, etc.. Looking for a larger size GFO with less dust and won't clog the bottom Torq grate. I'm using AquaMaxx Phosphate Out Pro at the moment. It's old, but I had a whole canister of it laying around.