Can Cryptocaryon irritans’ pretomont be kill?

  • Thread starter Thread starter icliao
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

icliao

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
71
Reaction score
29
Location
Jakarta
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to understand more about marine ich. Can Cryptocaryon irritans’ pretomont be kill by 1. Fresh water dip 3 minutes 2. Full dosage of copper treatment 3. Chloroquone phosphate at 60ppm

Will marine ich trophonts that dropped off from the fish be killed soon enough before they can form cyst in the treatment tank?
 
Does anyone in the #reefsquad have a good answer for this?
 
Trying to understand more about marine ich. Can Cryptocaryon irritans’ pretomont be kill by 1. Fresh water dip 3 minutes 2. Full dosage of copper treatment 3. Chloroquone phosphate at 60ppm

Will marine ich trophonts that dropped off from the fish be killed soon enough before they can form cyst in the treatment tank?
Here is a good reference for an overview.
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/12/mini

Another good resource.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FA/FA16400.pdf

Crypto doesn't have a pretomont stage, so not sure exactly what you are asking. Assuming you mean the Protomont stage where it finishes feeding and and drops off the fish, almost nothing will quickly kill it in this stage.

The only stage that Crypto can be rapidly treated in is the Theront stage where it is looking for a host. Since it isn't attached to the fish yet, a FW dip would not be helpful, but a full dose of copper or CP will quickly kill it in this stage.
In the Trophont, or feeding stage, it is again very difficult to treat. I believe the CP may be absorbed by a fish have some impact on it at this stage, but a FW dip and copper will not.
In the Tomont, or cyst stage, a full dose of copper will do enough genetic damage after a few weeks to make it unviable.

Unfortunately, I have seen studies showing that CP will kill Theronts, but I haven't seen enough research that would show its impact on Trophonts or Tomonts to speak intelligently about it.

Please let me know if that doesn't answer your question.
 
I did find a contradictory information as fallowing:

I reached out to seachem, according to them the protomont stage can be killed with copper. Here's what they wrote.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the email. Any medication you use for treating Cryptocaryon, including Cupramine, will only be effective on the parasites when they are free swimming. This is when they are initially released from the fish, before creating a cyst (tomont stage) and then when they are released from the cyst (theront stage). Typically there is a window of about 6-8 hours when the medication is effective against the parasite. This is why it is critical to treat for a minimum of three weeks, as their life cycle can continue from 3-28 days and you want to be sure you can break the cycle and eradicate them fully.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Seachem Support 100215
 
I did find a contradictory information as fallowing:

I reached out to seachem, according to them the protomont stage can be killed with copper. Here's what they wrote.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the email. Any medication you use for treating Cryptocaryon, including Cupramine, will only be effective on the parasites when they are free swimming. This is when they are initially released from the fish, before creating a cyst (tomont stage) and then when they are released from the cyst (theront stage). Typically there is a window of about 6-8 hours when the medication is effective against the parasite. This is why it is critical to treat for a minimum of three weeks, as their life cycle can continue from 3-28 days and you want to be sure you can break the cycle and eradicate them fully.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Seachem Support 100215
I have seen this claim before, but have only seen limited scientific research to back it up. It seems that the question is if they are vulnerable long enough to be eradicated by the copper.

Some good info on treating with copper can be found here.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa165

The key quote being this " However, copper is effective primarily against the free-swimming, infective stages of these parasites—the Cryptocaryon theronts and the Amyloodinium dinospores (Cardeilhac and Whitaker 1988)"
 
The protomont may be susceptible to low salinity or chemical treatments (before the cyst hardens). However, the free-swimming infective stage is most susceptible and the only one I would count on for complete eradication.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top