Can FW copepods be slow acclimated in SW?

Mubashshir Ahsan

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 23, 2021
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Dhaka, Bangladesh
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm new in saltwater keeping. Also I have a lot of freshwater aquariums. Those are full of copepods. I want to introduce copepods to my SW tank too. Can I slow acclimate those tiny lifes to SW? Or is there any easy/cheap way to add Copes to my SW tanks. Copepods seeds are not available in my LFS and I have to bring it through pre ordering them which is a bit costly. TIA!
 
I'm not sure if you can convert... but if a local reefer in your local club has some chaeto and has pods in their tank... maybe they can give you some chaeto which will seed your tank.

Otherwise... looks like ordering will be the best option.
 
I'm not sure if you can convert... but if a local reefer in your local club has some chaeto and has pods in their tank... maybe they can give you some chaeto which will seed your tank.

Otherwise... looks like ordering will be the best option.
Thanks. Does it comes automatically after the tank matures?
 
from my knowledge, after adding livestock (especially corals) copepods come along for the ride too. that's what happened to me. they should come in time, not worth dealing with FW copepods as I believe they're different anyways. if you want, you could ask somebody near you for some live rock rubble or chaeto with pods if you're super worried. also you can buy pod eggs on algae barn I believe.
 
Why not buy a 16 oz pod jar with multiple species that are meant for sw? No acclimation other than floating them for at least an hour. One of those "5000" pod jars would likely seed the tank faster as they include many life stages in there.
 
Thanks. Does it comes automatically after the tank matures?
No, they don't come automatically as a tank matures. But they will probably show up after you start adding corals since some will hitchhike on the frags into your tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top