Can I bleach my entire tank?

Why not dose copper to kill all type of corals left in tank then pool
Chlorine? I did copper for my tank for 4 weeks and then used pool chlorine for week. The Marco rock turned white like brand new. Did two water changes with tap water. Used prime. Used cuprisorb and poly filter before filling it saltwater again. Copper was zero on Icp. Total 750gallon
 
Why not dose copper to kill all type of corals left in tank then pool
Chlorine? I did copper for my tank for 4 weeks and then used pool chlorine for week. The Marco rock turned white like brand new. Did two water changes with tap water. Used prime. Used cuprisorb and poly filter before filling it saltwater again. Copper was zero on Icp. Total 750gallon
That was two years ago now it’s full blown reef.
 
Why not dose copper to kill all type of corals left in tank then pool
Chlorine? I did copper for my tank for 4 weeks and then used pool chlorine for week. The Marco rock turned white like brand new. Did two water changes with tap water. Used prime. Used cuprisorb and poly filter before filling it saltwater again. Copper was zero on Icp. Total 750gallon
That’s a good idea. How much copper did you use and then how much chlorine did you use per gallon?
 
That’s a good idea. How much copper did you use and then how much chlorine did you use per gallon?
I used cupramine at .7 mg/L. Had too many tangs in system and got ich breakout. Quarantining them separate tanks wasn’t option. I took out all my clean up crew and as man corals as I can. Once the ich was taken care of I took the fish out to inflatable swimming pool. Emptied the tank and filled it with tap water and dosed chlorine granules which were for 10,000 litres pool. Did it in the morning. Opened all the windows and doors downstairs. When I got back home house did smell like swimming pool but it wasn’t too bad. The smell went away in 3-4 days. Did two tap water changes and added prime. Filled with ro water , put in cuprisorb and colour changing poly pads. Kept the poly pads and cuprisorb with saltwater as well for couple of weeks after sending Icp to fauna.
 
I used cupramine at .7 mg/L. Had too many tangs in system and got ich breakout. Quarantining them separate tanks wasn’t option. I took out all my clean up crew and as man corals as I can. Once the ich was taken care of I took the fish out to inflatable swimming pool. Emptied the tank and filled it with tap water and dosed chlorine granules which were for 10,000 litres pool. Did it in the morning. Opened all the windows and doors downstairs. When I got back home house did smell like swimming pool but it wasn’t too bad. The smell went away in 3-4 days. Did two tap water changes and added prime. Filled with ro water , put in cuprisorb and colour changing poly pads. Kept the poly pads and cuprisorb with saltwater as well for couple of weeks after sending Icp to fauna.
IMG_7280.png
 
You can watch Joe Yaiullo’s video of resetting 20k gallon tank. He talk about paly toxicity and how much bleach he used
 
Absolutely DO NOT bleach an 800g system full of live rock and sand inside your home. There's going to be significant off gassing that could kill or severely damage you and anyone else living there. People bleach rocks outside in trash cans for a reason.

So before doing this, book yourself an all-inclusive week at some nice tropical resort and leave the windows open
 
In my opinion, don't bleach your tank. You will have more problems than solutions.

If I was you...
I would stir, scrub and drain the tank, fill it up with fresh RO water or tap water with any brand of dechlorinator, and start the painful process of scrubbing all your rockwork, stirring up the sand and draining the tank few times, since it's an 800 gl that's a lot of water, so you don't have to full fill it , just enough to get everything under water. Wear gloves and a face mask if you are sensitive to what ever smell might came out. Once you did it few times until is less cloudy, full fill the tank with fresh saltwater, add bacteria and run a protein skimmer wet skimming, stirring up the sand and turkey dusting the rocks once a day or two. Also run a carbon reactor with the amount of carbon for your tank water volume, changing it once a week or two times a week, plus cleaning the filter socks every day. In the first few day you might have to clean the filter socks few times a day, as they will clog faster. (You might run into a bacteria bloom, the water might milky cloud... but, don't worry because you don't have any living organisms besides the bacteria). At that point you will be re-cycling your tank once again.

I know it's not an easy approach (lots of work) but, that's how I feel it's the best way to clean up all, if you aren't able to remove your aquascape and do an outside cleaning and drying. "As an option if you want, you can change all the sand and start with fresh life sand".

Good luck with whatever approach you think is best for you and your system.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top