Can i keep saltwater aside till i use it?

edc_aquarium

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 4, 2017
Messages
383
Reaction score
170
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just starting to make my own saltwater, im going to be using reef crystals and i want to know if i can make a few gallons and set aside till i use it and if so how long can it be set aside for
 
This is one of those debated topics with no 100% right answer. I personally only make enough for what is needed a few days before I need it, a week at most.
 
People do auto water changes where they mix up saltwater once a month and use it over the course of the month. That is what BRS is doing on one of their ULM tank series.
 
I would just set a powerhead in there. I make my batches up about twice a month I like to keep 30% of TWV aside in case of an emergency
 
You can keep saltwater for long periods of time, months, if the container has a lid that seals tightly and in a cool location away from light.

Circulation isn't needed. Polypropylene and polyethylene containers for portable water/food grade are recommended.
 
I keep it for months at a time in a covered 55 gallon drum. I have a mixing pump in the barrel that kicks on 4-5 times a day to keep the water mixed up. I also have a small reactor of carbon with a small pump that keeps the water crystal clear and a heater with an Inkbird temperature controller (not pictured here) to keep it at a constant 79°. All I have to do to pump water out of the barrel is flip a switch to turn the circulation pump on and turn a couple of valves.

DSC09871.JPG
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top