Can i lube my skimmer cup o ring?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2019
Messages
8,288
Reaction score
8,095
Location
Puyallup, Wa USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well? What do the masses think? Can I use this saftly on my Reef tank? Whyd it capitalize reef? Lol
Anyways...can I lube my skimmer cup o ring with this? And will it allow me to remove the cup without spilling it all back in? Lol. Literally got covered today in fish poo and pee and want to avoid it from ever happening again.
2nd shower time... lol
Ty all
-devin
 

Well? What do the masses think? Can I use this saftly on my Reef tank? Whyd it capitalize reef? Lol
Anyways...can I lube my skimmer cup o ring with this? And will it allow me to remove the cup without spilling it all back in? Lol. Literally got covered today in fish poo and pee and want to avoid it from ever happening again.
2nd shower time... lol
Ty all
-devin
Man that stinks… literally and figuratively. I have the little hose on my skimmer cup so I can empty it from the bottom into a bucket without needing to pull off the whole skimmer cup when it’s full. I’m interested to see what others think about your idea! Seems like it would work to me!
 
It's not about the masses... It's about my opinion... Lol.
Well it is NSF61 approved...
I have a Red Sea RSK 300 that has a tight O-ring and was looking for something similar. I tried a bit of nose grease, But I killed my whole tank... JK
As long as you don't gob it on I think it should be OK...
Try it and let me know how it goes...
You can close this post after you read this be my opinion is the only one that matters...
 

Well? What do the masses think? Can I use this saftly on my Reef tank? Whyd it capitalize reef? Lol
Anyways...can I lube my skimmer cup o ring with this? And will it allow me to remove the cup without spilling it all back in? Lol. Literally got covered today in fish poo and pee and want to avoid it from ever happening again.
2nd shower time... lol
Ty all
-devin


I wish I knew, but NSF makes it seem like it is good to go. Alladin grease is ptfe based, nontoxic, enviroment friendly and available at every pool store. It only made the skimmer mad for an hour on the fowlr. I bet Trident silicone grease would be safe because it is used on internals of dive gear and high pressure fittings that you breathe off of. If you have pool or dive shops in your area..

But I just woke up, 3:15am, feeling feverish and now I wonder if monkeypoo is reef safe. My brain fog, your user name and the mention of smell made me remember something I'd long forgotten. https://oringmonkeyorings.com/oringmonkey-monkeypoo-paintball-lube
Mmm... banana
 
I have heard of people using a very thin coat of vegetable oil, but honestly I have no clue lol.

I have a RedSea skimmer. Works great! Cup connects very tight. I always fight with it to get cup off.

so, after many times dumping cup in sump, on me, on the floor etc. I realized I had a habit of remove the cap on the cup before I tried to remove the cup. In hind sight - kind of feel dumb lol. Now I use one hand to hold cap on, and with other hand pry between cup bottom and skimmer neck to slowly guide cup off and not make a mess. Takes about extra 15 seconds.

point being- I made adjustment to myself instead of the skimmer. It would really suck to poison the tank for something that maybe rethinking it might have a different solution.

I do not know that in your specific case there is, but just saying explore all options first, sleep on it, Re- assess the situation and maybe there’s some Work around that’s Better then adding something your unsure if can cause harm.

idk lol. Just my two pennies

HAPPY REEFING!
 
Well I do plan to take the cup to mclendons and get some hose so I can just drain it out into another easier container to remove and clean. I will still have to clean the neck and lid with a tooth brush and water eventually.
Guess I'll use the search bar here again and keep looking. Reading. Researching.
Thanks all and keep it coming.
D
 
Also my skimmer cup lid is really light plastic acrylic and even the bubbles push it up. Lol.
It takes both hands to pry up. One to hold the troft where the water comes out and one hand on the handle of the cup and pry up. Stupid! Lol.

They need to make a snap loc lid or a bigger collection cup I'm tellin u. Lol
D
 
Pics for reference. Was expecting it to be full of light tea skimate today when I got home from work cuz I had spilt so much back in but forgot to turn on the water feed pump. Lol. So it was just recirculating
D
 
.
 

Attachments

  • 20220824_015733.jpg
    20220824_015733.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220824_015737.jpg
    20220824_015737.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 45
You can lube o-rings. Good choice would be something like what we use in scuba diving. Food grade, safe. I use this on my skimmer and Cor return pump o-ring. I also keep this in my dive bag...

Dow Corning 111 O-Ring Valve Silicone Lubricant & Sealant Scuba 2oz 57g
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top