Can I mix baking soda and epsom salt?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cwk84
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

cwk84

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2017
Messages
272
Reaction score
117
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is using up magnesium and alk like never before. I'm looking for a way to keep up with the demand without using too many different solutions. Would it be possible to mix baking soda and Epsom salt in one container so I don't have to dose separately?
 
No they will precipitate out, but you can mix calcium chloride and magnesium chloride together. Note you cannot mix calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate (epsom salt).
 
My tank is using up magnesium and alk like never before. I'm looking for a way to keep up with the demand without using too many different solutions. Would it be possible to mix baking soda and Epsom salt in one container so I don't have to dose separately?

No, my DIY (e. g., BRS) is a three part for a reason.

As noted above, You will precipitate magnesium hydroxide and possibly some magnesium carbonate when mixing any magnesium compound with baking soda.

You will precipitate calcium sulfate when mixing Epsom salt with calcium chloride.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top