Can I run a temporary tank in a garage?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leyth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Leyth

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
803
Reaction score
438
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m moving about 3 hours up the road in the next couple of months and I have a 625 xxl currently running with tons of corals and fish. I don’t really want to move the tank because in my future home, I would like to get a custom tank built with different dimensions. I’d like to sell the tank before I move but I want to keep all my corals and fish. My parents live in the town I’m moving to so I have somewhere to setup temporarily until I find/build a home. I’ll be staying with them.

Could I run a 100-150 gallon Rubbermaid container in their garage and just move all the contents of my tank using some large coolers? This would be in South Carolina so cool winters and hot summers. I am guessing heaters could do the job for winter right? Would a chiller be able to keep temps stable in the summer though? Or is this a completely stupid idea altogether?
 
Evening

That sounds fine. Just takes careful planning on the transport and acclimating parts. The more air and water each animal can be packed in the better. Helps with O2, ammonia, and temp. And pack in styrofoam. Take as much of the original water as poss and match the new water as close as possible to it. Then acclimate as normal.

You can use an acceptable tub or find a used tank at your parents and set it up as normal. You addressed temp issues in the garage, but also be aware of other hazards like chemicals and fumes. If it is used as a regular garage I would see if you could bargain some interior space for the tank. A normally functioning garage has a lot of hazards around it.
 
What's the ambient air temp in your garage? Its Dec/Jan Winter weather outside.....

If your ambient garage temp is like 50..... your heater(s) will run 24/7 and your electric meter will spin around faster than a hiphop breakdancer

In all seriousness this could add $50-$70+ a month to your electric bill

Just saying
 
You can run it in the garage - my entire setup is in the garage.
But I would insulate as much as possible. Keep it off the cold cement floor.
1576505890430.png
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top