Can I see your reef tank...with lights off?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
12,222
Reaction score
23,039
Location
Miami Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can assume we all know that everyone likes their tanks with the lights on - me included. The corals are fully expanded, lighting is flawless, true color of the rocks pop out...but nobody shows their tanks in their natural state when the lights are off.

My lights are on for 6 hours a day, and the tank looks great while the lights are on...but once their off, it honestly looks terrible. The rock work looks weird, corals look nonexistent, and activity dies down.

I actually want to see your tank in this state. So...can you show me a picture of your tank with lights off? Bonus points if you can get a shot with lights on for a comparison.
 
Well I'm just the opposite. When lights are ON polyp extension is minimal. But when lights go out, polyps come out like crazy. Here's my candy cane using a flash to get this picture.

Candy Cane Polyps.JPG
 
Really? Wow. I’m shocked. It’s beautiful! Here’s my toadstool with lights off.

AE872A27-68F5-4530-A664-02ACE7E1F611.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top