Can I use latex gloves in my reef?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
38,516
Reaction score
67,449
Location
Fontana, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a bunch of work in the tank yesterday and quite a bit of fragging too. Today my fingers are swollen (paly toxins, bristle worms, etc.), and it's got me wondering if maybe I could use non-powdered latex gloves to protect my hands while fragging and working in the tank. Anybody know any reason why this would be a bad idea? I can't think of any, but I'm no chemist either. Thoughts?
 
I have found there to be a little powder inside of the non-powdered type. Its fine at first, but when you pull your hand out the glove will drain out with cloudy water. I think the arm length ones would be really good though.
 
I use lay text gloves but don't stick them in the tank. I use big tongs to grab them out the tank and then I start using gloves when there in the bowl for fragging. If there attached to your rock work and you need to get a blade in there what I did was rinse the glove out in hot water and swish it around then I use a rubber band to make sure it right around the glove on my wrists then I do it quickly and not all the time. Always make sure if your able to frag a polyp and make that the new mother colony for fragging so you don't have to interrupt the growth of your colony's in the display. Also a good way to propagate the corals for maximum survival and don't have to worry that you did something wrong from hurting your other colony's . Same goes for Sps if it's possible.
 
I use non powdered type but I rubber band or seal the wrist somehow. Still get a bit of water down there but nothing like if you did nothing. Not sure I'd rubber band really tight if using for a long time lol but it works for my short maintenance time.
 
Also hope all is well Daniel! I got your message all is well over here. Hope the tanks and family are doing we'll same goes for your self! How's those Polychromatics and other zoas doing for ya !?
 
I use the thick black nitrile gloves they sell on Amazon. They hold up to fragging, moving rocks, etc. The thin latex ones will bust open, leaving you in the same predicament.
 
Thanks guys. Never used nitrile before. What's the difference between those and latex? I'm guessing I could probably pick a box up at the pharmacy in the same area as latex gloves?
 
Also hope all is well Daniel! I got your message all is well over here. Hope the tanks and family are doing we'll same goes for your self! How's those Polychromatics and other zoas doing for ya !?

Thanks bro! Polychromatics are doing good. Still at 3 polyps but they look happy. I just changed my lights to radions, so I'm hoping that will give better growth.

Some of the zoas I fragged yesterday are from the ones you sent me (rainbow infusions and laser lemons).
 
Sometimes I go bare skin, but I like using these, which keeps me totally dry, although they are a little thick so difficult to handle tiny things:

31frhr0bfuL.jpg


I use the Raven Black powder-free nitrile gloves when working on my car, but never used them for my aquarium. If you get that Raven brand, get one size larger than normal. (Bottom of my palm to middle finger tip is 7 1/4", and I use a large which is a snug fit)
 
Sometimes I go bare skin, but I like using these, which keeps me totally dry, although they are a little thick so difficult to handle tiny things:

31frhr0bfuL.jpg


I use the Raven Black powder-free nitrile gloves when working on my car, but never used them for my aquarium. If you get that Raven brand, get one size larger than normal. (Bottom of my palm to middle finger tip is 7 1/4", and I use a large which is a snug fit)

Thanks for the tip. I had thought about the thicker gloves, but my issue is needing to be able to feel what I'm handling. The water doesn't bother me much. This only happens when I move anything in the rock or substrate or when I frag zoas/palys. I'm thinking I'm going to try the nitrile gloves. I'll try to find a box of them today.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top