Can I use this for for my Calcium mix?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brucey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

brucey

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2022
Messages
67
Reaction score
83
Location
united kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help as it’s that time to make more calcium solution.

I seem to have bought a more expensive calcium chloride - hexahydrate CaC12 6H2O

Rather than my usual Calcium Chloride Dihydrate CaCl2.H2O

Will I this do the job?
 
Looking for some help as it’s that time to make more calcium solution.

I seem to have bought a more expensive calcium chloride - hexahydrate CaC12 6H2O

Rather than my usual Calcium Chloride Dihydrate CaCl2.H2O

Will I this do the job?

That’s an odd chemical to have available. Do you have a link?
 
It seems expensive, but I’m not sure what other choices you have there. There’s nothing wiring with being the hexahydrate, but it is a bit less potent then the dihydrate.
Ok, thanks for answering so quickly
The last thing I need is for an even more diluted mix and the dosers to be on even longer!

Mistake on my part, I spent ages trying to find a higher purity calcium chloride and didn’t spot the difference.
The dihydrate over here is 70%ish pure and I get a load of crud left at the bottom.
Looks like I’ll just have to make do
 
Ok, thanks for answering so quickly
The last thing I need is for an even more diluted mix and the dosers to be on even longer!

Mistake on my part, I spent ages trying to find a higher purity calcium chloride and didn’t spot the difference.
The dihydrate over here is 70%ish pure and I get a load of crud left at the bottom.
Looks like I’ll just have to make do

To be clear, you can make it to the same potency, it just takes more solid to get there.
 
Ok, thanks for answering so quickly
The last thing I need is for an even more diluted mix and the dosers to be on even longer!

Mistake on my part, I spent ages trying to find a higher purity calcium chloride and didn’t spot the difference.
The dihydrate over here is 70%ish pure and I get a load of crud left at the bottom.
Looks like I’ll just have to make do

FWIW, calcium chloride dihydrate that is 100% pure is only about 78% calcium chloride, so that 78 percentage reflects the water weight, not other sorts of impurities.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top