Can I use this to bump up my Alkalinity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Alk at 6.5 dKH is lower than most of us keep it, but not dangerous. Seawater is around 7. 12 is unnaturally high, but some reefers keep high alk.

I would probably quit measuring pH. I don't believe 7.12, as that's not possible in saltwater with any amount of alkalinity.

That reading is from a freshly calibrated probe.
 
It has been sitting at 7.5 since 10am this morning.

pH rises when the lights are on and drops when the lights are off.
Yes, yes it does. So testing first thing in the morning will give you a lower value than testing later in the day. Hence, my question.
 
Yes, yes it does. So testing first thing in the morning will give you a lower value than testing later in the day. Hence, my question.

I am using a new PinPoint pH probe. It has been calibrated. So I am not doing a traditional pH test with reagent.

When I first checked the meter this morning, it was 7.12 and it came up to 7.5 during the day.

I did a test using my RedSea kit to confirm the readings.

But I am preparing a water change. The tank has turned milk white, I am guessing precipitation.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top