Can lighting mess up coraline growth?

Siberwulf

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2021
Messages
413
Reaction score
406
Location
DFW
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible for your lights to kill your coraline? I'm asking this because for a while, I had good coraline growth. It really spread everywhere in the DT. Then it started to bleach and die off. I'm not a frequent water changer, as I'm trying to do the triton method.

I thought ALL my coraline was dying, but I looked in the sump today and it's growing all over the back glass there. The only real difference here is the lights. Now that I'm looking closer, I see some coraline in the DT, but it's on the underside of rocks, powerheads, etc....that seems weird to me.

Water parameters have been pretty stable:

NO3: 0 (Yes, I'm trying to remove as much algae from the sump as possible as I think this is sucking it all up, even dropped the duration of lighting on the Sump to slow the overall growth.)
PO4: .08
Alk: 10.4 (trying to get it back down to 10 by slowing the DOS)
Ca: 440
Mg: 1440
Note: I have an ICP test coming in the mail today, so I should be able to see how accurate these Red Sea tests are.

Here's my lighting profiles from the AI:

Display Tank

AI.jpg
AI2.jpg


Sump:
AISump.jpg
AISump2.jpg


I would think that if this was a NO3 problem, I wouldn't getting coraline ANYWHERE in the system.
 
So why don't you cut your light intensity and duration for a month and re evaluate?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top