Can my sixline eat itself to death?

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2012
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
500
Location
Past the wall
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got him really skinny and sick about a month ago... Now he is so fat... I don't think it's healthy. Is this ok?

IMAG0976.jpg
IMAG0978.jpg
IMAG0981.jpg
 
wow he is fat i did a quick google and this came up its just a paragraph might help
Abdominal swelling or bloating. This is usually a sign of a bladder infection, often a common problem with Wrasses that burrow in the substrate.
 
Last edited:
I just wanted to say 1. your fish is really fat, like, woah. 2. I love how colorful your rock is! I hope mine will be like that eventually.
 
How often do you feed?
I have 1 too and if you go on a trip for 3+ days these little buggers will gorge themselves off the first feeding.
No lie....I saw mine poop out a small blue hermit crab claw.....I should have taken a picture.
 
It could be what you are feeding as well. Squid for example fed too often can cause all kinds of issues which lead to abdominal swelling and eventually death.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
 
He could also have intestinal parasites....do you see him pooping white at all?
 
He could also have intestinal parasites....do you see him pooping white at all?

+1 white, stringy feces is an indication of internal parasites, common in many wrasses.

The fish might also be impacted (is it pooping at all?), or as mentioned, it may have an infection (I suspect that if it were a swim bladder infection, it would be having buoyancy issues tho).

To answer your original question...yes, fish can eat themselves to death, altho this generally takes awhile, as the fish usually succumb to hepatic lipidosis. However, fishes with slow metabolisms, such as anglers, can actually have excessive food begin to decompose in their GI tract which kills them.
 
Well cripes. Sounds like he's either extremely happy or on the verge of death. I got him soley because pods were taking over my tank. I got him and him alone to clean them up. Little did I know that he also eats bristle worms of which I have an abundance. What are some symptoms of these diseases... He is always picking and swimming around as usual...
 
Posted this as you guys posted symptoms... I am at work all day so I haven't been able to track his poop movements... ill keep an eye out for his poop when im at home.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top