Can my tank support a Lawnmower Blenny?

Will it?

  • Yes

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 5 71.4%

  • Total voters
    7

TheOneWhoIsThere

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2018
Messages
58
Reaction score
42
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was starting my first freshwater tank I saw a lawnmower blenny at the fish store, I thought one day I would start a saltwater and I finally am. I ended up deciding on getting one of the Live Aquaria complete kits, the 20 gal cubey (https://www.liveaquaria.com/product...k-saltwater?pcatid=6140&c=3753+3829+6110+6140) and I am going to upgrade the light to the AI Prime, and adding in a 425gph power head, will think tank be big enough, AND provide enough algae for the lawnmower?
 
It depends on how much algae you have, how you will try and control it, or not. 20 gals seems a little small, but if you are farming algae... Then maybe.
 
Are you planning on not feeding it or something? A lawnmower can survive with 0 algae if your tank had none. They will literally eat anything. Frozen food, flakes, pellets, nori, algae, you name it.
 
I have a starry blenny which is similar, happily eats omega one super veggie kelp flakes. So I think I'd be more concerned about tank size, than algae growth. Mine doesn't roam far from his favorite perch though...not exactly an olympic swimmer, so maybe 20g is okay? I quarantined mine in a 20g and he stayed mostly in a small corner of it inside his PVC pipe.
 
I got a small LMB for my 32 gallon biocube. I have tons of green hair algae and so he is fat and happy. He may eventually eat himself out of a job, and if so, I will try supplemental feeding techniques.
 
Well, you could, but even liveaquaria states 30g min so, yeah, tad on small side maybe
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top