Can silicates level boost GHA if nitrates and phos are low?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2021
Messages
1,254
Reaction score
702
Location
Germany
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
As title says:
I have found my RODI contains quite high levels of silicon (from ATI test 399.2 µg/l but only 74.14 µg/l in my DT).
My LFS told me that my GHA problems could be caused by silicates and I should use a silicate remover.
Do you think that despite low nutrients (0.03 phos, 2ppm nitrates) the reason behind GHA growth is actually silicate being consumed by GHA everytime my ATO pours water?
This would make things much easier. I tried many ways to kill them but they still grow (despite they grow much slower now).
 
Hi,
As title says:
I have found my RODI contains quite high levels of silicon (from ATI test 399.2 µg/l but only 74.14 µg/l in my DT).
My LFS told me that my GHA problems could be caused by silicates and I should use a silicate remover.
Do you think that despite low nutrients (0.03 phos, 2ppm nitrates) the reason behind GHA growth is actually silicate being consumed by GHA everytime my ATO pours water?
This would make things much easier. I tried many ways to kill them but they still grow (despite they grow much slower now).
Go on YouTube, search for “Reefbeef” an episode called “Herbivores are the answer”, about 40 minutes in to that lies the truth.
 
Hi,
As title says:
I have found my RODI contains quite high levels of silicon (from ATI test 399.2 µg/l but only 74.14 µg/l in my DT).
My LFS told me that my GHA problems could be caused by silicates and I should use a silicate remover.
Do you think that despite low nutrients (0.03 phos, 2ppm nitrates) the reason behind GHA growth is actually silicate being consumed by GHA everytime my ATO pours water?
This would make things much easier. I tried many ways to kill them but they still grow (despite they grow much slower now).
GHA doesn't use silicates. could lead to diatom issues though.
 
Or a sponge bloom :)
I definitely have many tiny pineapple sponges around but something must be eating that Si somehow. Good to know that my LFS wanted to sell me some useless expensive media, at least now I will always doublecheck before buying.
 
I definitely have many tiny pineapple sponges around but something must be eating that Si somehow. Good to know that my LFS wanted to sell me some useless expensive media, at least now I will always doublecheck before buying.
cool! their likely eating the silicates and cleaning your water a bit.
 
Adding silicate can reduce green algae as diatoms compete better.

That happened in my tank every time I dosed silicate.


Figure 3. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass.

1651258832452.png


Figure 6. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass and adding the silica supplement.

1651258862733.png
 
Adding silicate can reduce green algae as diatoms compete better.

That happened in my tank every time I dosed silicate.


Figure 3. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass.

1651258832452.png


Figure 6. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass and adding the silica supplement.

1651258862733.png
Then stopping the dosing does actually get rid of the diatoms as well? Or you have to "choose one"?
 
Adding silicate can reduce green algae as diatoms compete better.

That happened in my tank every time I dosed silicate.


Figure 3. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass.

1651258832452.png


Figure 6. A view of the inside of the front glass of my reef tank 5 days after scraping the glass and adding the silica supplement.

1651258862733.png
I recognise this pictures. Did you wrote the article on silica and sponges? This is one of my favourite readings of all time.
 
Then stopping the dosing does actually get rid of the diatoms as well? Or you have to "choose one"?

In most tanks, diatoms and other creatures rapidly deplete added silicate, and gor diatoms, that prevents their growth.
 
I recognise this pictures. Did you wrote the article on silica and sponges? This is one of my favourite readings of all time.

I’m not sure which article you are referring to, but I wrote the one linked above.
 
I’m not sure which article you are referring to, but I wrote the one linked above.
That’s the one, wend I read it a few years back had a different name on the website.
E345B512-3A6A-4A9D-8B00-59DAAE6BF56B.jpeg

still got my bottle going to re start using it on my new build
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top